"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Water under refrigerator  (Read 1512 times) previous topic - next topic

Water under refrigerator

Hi all,
We had enough water collected under the refrigerator to swell the board under the refrigerator door. The refrigerator is working fine and not sure how water from inside the refrigerator could get underneath and behind the wood work.

Any experience or ideas?

Can you water come in the outside refrigerator vents and migrate underneath?

I took off the lower vent cover and the only possible sign of water getting in is that the aluminum tape on the wood sides of the cavity have come unstuck from the wood.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bart

Re: Water under refrigerator

Reply #1
Well did it rain or you wash the RV recently? If not then NO from the outside. If so then it very well could have come from the outside. What I would do is wait till the next rain or wash and see if any water on the next time accumulates. Wait till it happens again if it even does?

Todd
Excel Power Bikes
Owner
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Reply #2
I wish you luck in your in your search. You've got to love the way water can migrate from almost anywhere. More often than not, it's not from the obvious locations.

When we first got our Wonder FTB I remember stepping in water on the floor in the galley. Was it overflow from the countertop? Was the water pump leaking or was a plumbing fitting loose? Turns out some water had gotten on the floor after closing the retractable self-cleaning shower screen. Because we were on an ver-so-slight angle it had migrated from the shower to the galley.

Reply #3
Well, it rained like crazy a week ago, but sunny since.

It looks like more water under the refrigerator and slightly to the rear on the same side. This after driving all day. The water is enough to soften and swell the wood and discolor the veneer right at the floor.
Could a plugged drain in the refrigerator cause this?

Is there a water-letter-outer-hole that could have gotten plugged somehow?

Could there still be water trapped in the space behind the wall or cabinetry or whatever you call it?  If so, how do I get it dried out?

All the RV service people are backed up, and it seems like it’s up to me to deal with it.

ALL SUGGESTIONS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

Reply #4
You should have a clear tube on the bottom vent outside. Make sure it is resting in the holder for it on the outside edge. I would also blow with tour mouth in it and see if it is stuck or clear. Make sure also the other end is hooked up also if it blows clear.
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Reply #5
Hi Todd,
Thanks for replying!
Good suggestions for possible causes. I didn’t notice a clear tube behind the lower refrigerator grill, but I’ll look for it. I thought maybe it was through the floor or something because I didn’t see anything that looked like a drain tube.

Can you say anything more about where the tube attaches to the refrigerator - should it be visible with the bottom refrigerator grill off?

Should removing the screw panel enable me to dry the area safely with a hair dryer?

Reply #6

Turns out my 2014 Unity refrigerator drain hose goes into a little plastic container just above the top of the bottom vent grille. I blew it out as Todd suggested, and it looks like my water was coming from elsewhere.
I’m beginning to wonder if the water that came in around the slide during the rain/wind severe storm could have gotten under the refrigerator then, only to show up when I repositioned the RV so it was higher on the passenger side.

In any case, it did some damage to the wood panel under the refrigerator, which has swollen up and will probably get replaced for cosmetic reasons.

Thanks to all who helped me with sorting this out!

Bart