"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Lap Sealant on Roof Seams of 2009 Libero Freedom II (Read 1913 times) previous topic - next topic

Lap Sealant on Roof Seams of 2009 Libero Freedom II

After a few annoying leaks in back compartment and behind the front cab, I decided to clean the joints on the roof with a degreaser and re-seal with Dicor Lap Sealant. Unfortunately our coach is a grey'ish metalic colour and the Grey Lap Sealant is light gray.
Has anyone had luck a) finding the paint code or b) painting it with automotive paint or c) taping it off and using a close match from Tremclad or another type of metallic paint for fibreglass?  Hope this stops my leaks!
Anyone else suffer from roof leaks? I was used to them with my 1977 Boler but thought the Libero would not have this issue!

Re: Lap Sealant on Roof Seams of 2009 Libero Freedom II

Reply #1
Almost all rv caulking seams will leak eventually. The caulking dries out opening up cracks.
I like to use Eternabond tape in place of Dicor.  Much cleaner to use, but once it is down it is there forever!  If old Dicor is smooth, I may put the tape right over it.
It is suggested that all caulked seams be inspected once a year.
Not much in color choices.  What was done before?  Was the caulk painted?  In most rvs the caulking is not visible from the ground.  Remember to check caulking around vents, fans, and all roof penetrations.  Again, tape is much easier!
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Thanks. I now know to check "Harvey" at start and end of season! Damage already done unfortunately. Yes they painted the previous sealant. My unit is grey metallic--and I know only I see the seams but.......... lol-- Arizona, nice-- bucket list once we are all set free here in Ontario!

Reply #3
Hi,

Are you aware that Dicor comes in a clear tube? One problem that I've noticed is that it is sometimes difficult to see clear caulking.

I've been using Dicor for years.

Hope this helps.

Art