"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: RV Selection Question (Read 2242 times) previous topic - next topic

RV Selection Question

Greetings from Florida!

I am a few years from retiring, but have been looking at RVs.  I was leaning towards an Oliver TT, but like the idea of not having to attach a TT and pulling it etc... My only concern is if I want to go sight seeing in the area, is it a big deal to unhook black hose etc?  Though I am only 63 now, I am just concerned as my wife and I get older if this will be a challenge (hooking and unhooking Travel Trailer).

I love the looks of the Leisure Van, but know little about them.  I saw one at a RV show and was quite impressed with the quality.  I was wondering:
1.  Has you LTV met your expectations?
2.  Any regrets?
3.  Quality is accurate assessment?
4.  Would it be possible to take 2 small kayaks and bikes?
Anyway, I am a ways off purchasing, but like exploring possibilities.
Thanks for any and all replies!
Dwain

Re: RV Selection Question

Reply #1
Well, being small you can stop almost anywhere along the way to see sights, shop, etc.  With a trailer you may be too long to stop & park.  We would stop in towns to go to shops, museums, etc while traveling through.  If we were pulling a trailer, that would be a lot more difficult - traffic, parking, etc.  We rented a Class C several years ago and traveled from Washington down the west coast to California.  Had a great time but it was too big (length & height) to stop at certain places.  The LTV is just the right size for 2.

1. Met Expectations - YES!!  We traveled in our LTV 2017 Wonder MB for 80 days last year.  Had a great time.  No issues on the road except for a leaking tire (not LTV's fault). And a leaking window.

2.  Regrets? - No, we bought used.  Saved some $.  It was a 2017 model that had about 15,000 miles.  Bought in Feb. 2019.  However, it came with 200 watts of factory solar.  If I had bought new, I would not have included the solar option.  Their GoPower system and Flex panels are not the quality that should be in an LTV IMO.  I removed the panels and the GoPower controller at the end of last year and installed 400 watts of Renogy rigid glass panels and a Victron 100/30 solar controller.  Much better system and was cheaper than the factory installed 200 watts.  Of course, I did the work so labor was free.  Mine did not come with a macerator but I added it before our first trip.  The Class C we rented years ago had the stinky slinky gravity pipe system and it was a mess.  Did not want to deal with that again.  I also dump at home which requires flowing uphill to the house cleanout that I added an "L" too.  Gravity won't work there but the macerator handles it perfectly.  Oh, if at a campsite, you don't have to connect the sewer pipe - just when you need to dump.  Water & electric would need to be disconnected. Well, regarding water, we sometimes didn't connect until were were getting ready to leave and we topped off our freshwater tank.  We always take quick showers so water usage is minimum (and lengthens time before grey tank needs emptying).

3. Quality - An LTV is a quality RV excluding the factory solar :)  They all have problems over time.  The window over the sink leaked when we purchased it - noted at time of purchase and seller paid for the fix.  We had the window over the murphy bed to leak during one of our trips.  My brother in law and I fixed that. 

4. Carrying kayaks & bikes.  I'll let others speak more to that as we don't carry either.  But I do know some people add a Komo carrier for bikes and other things.  That increases the length of the RV, adds weight, etc.  I have seen posts regarding inflatable kayaks but don't know how much storage room they require deflated. 

Where are you located?

Reply #2
Thank you so much for a detailed response!
We live in Sarasota Florida.
Dwain

Reply #3
Greetings from Florida!

I am a few years from retiring, but have been looking at RVs.  I was leaning towards an Oliver TT, but like the idea of not having to attach a TT and pulling it etc... My only concern is if I want to go sight seeing in the area, is it a big deal to unhook black hose etc?  Though I am only 63 now, I am just concerned as my wife and I get older if this will be a challenge (hooking and unhooking Travel Trailer).

I love the looks of the Leisure Van, but know little about them.  I saw one at a RV show and was quite impressed with the quality.  I was wondering:
1.  Has you LTV met your expectations?
2.  Any regrets?
3.  Quality is accurate assessment?
4.  Would it be possible to take 2 small kayaks and bikes?
Anyway, I am a ways off purchasing, but like exploring possibilities.
Thanks for any and all replies!
Dwain

We bought our Unity TB in June 2013, never used a toad.  We spend one to two months in Florida in the Winter & it takes all of three minutes to disconnect water, electric, & cable & we're on our way to shopping, restaurants or whatever.  Plus you have everything with you, bathroom, bed, beverages whatever.  We also have a 75 lbs Golden Retriever who goes where we go.  We have the diesel generator, takes very little fuel so we use it a lot to keep our Golden comfortable.  Did I say we're both in our early 80's & not a problem for us.
Don't know about Kayaks, but we have a hitch that accommodates two of our Electric Bicycles.  No regrets - We will be selling our Unity TB in next month or so, as we have a 2021 Wonder Rear Lounge on order.  Scheduled for delivery late September or early October if Covid doesn't throw a wrench into it.
2021 LTV Wonder Rear Lounge - White Suede

2013 LTV Unity Twin Bed (Sold)

Reply #4
Thank you for response.
Very encouraging!
Blessings!

Reply #5
Yes, the quick set-up of the Class B plus is just the right thing for making cross-country trips. On the other hand, if you stay in one spot for many days, and you have to keep going to town for whatever, then buy a trailer.
The LTV Mercedes can nicely keep up with any semi in the mountains, and it's perfect for stopping in a tourist area, although there are some towns that will only allow RV parking in special areas. You can hang two bikes on the back, but a kayak on top would be a bit too challenging for seniors.
If you're contemplating really challenging drives like the Appalachian mountain tours or as we did, the Labrador Highway, or the trip to the Arctic Ocean from Canada's Yukon, a trailer is not a good idea.
The LTV Unity is perfect for two people and a dog. We've done about 60,000 miles in 8 years (mostly just one night per campground) and this is the best way to visit friends and relatives all over the U.S. and Canada.

Reply #6
Thanks for response.
Yes, I don't see us constantly unhooking, perhaps a few times during the week to see local sights.

I think the Class B will be perfect for us.  I like what I am reading about them.

Thanks again!
Dwain

Reply #7
We bought our Unity TB in June 2013, never used a toad.  We spend one to two months in Florida in the Winter & it takes all of three minutes to disconnect water, electric, & cable & we're on our way to shopping, restaurants or whatever.  Plus you have everything with you, bathroom, bed, beverages whatever.  We also have a 75 lbs Golden Retriever who goes where we go.  We have the diesel generator, takes very little fuel so we use it a lot to keep our Golden comfortable.  Did I say we're both in our early 80's & not a problem for us.
Don't know about Kayaks, but we have a hitch that accommodates two of our Electric Bicycles.  No regrets - We will be selling our Unity TB in next month or so, as we have a 2021 Wonder Rear Lounge on order.  Scheduled for delivery late September or early October if Covid doesn't throw a wrench into it.
we also have a Wonder RL on order, with AWD.  They say October but I'm a bit skeptical because of the AWD

Reply #8
Looking for an owners manual for my new to me but used RV - 2008 Freedom Spirit.  Does anyone have a copy that I can download please?

Reply #9
You may have to create a MyLTV account to get to the manuals.  I think signup requires your VIN #.  If the VIN is already registered, you may have to contact LTV to let them know you now own it and would like to create a MyLTV account (it's free).

Here are the manuals.
Owner’s Manuals - Leisure Travel Vans