"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: UNITY 2020 RTB HELP PLEASE (Read 2816 times) previous topic - next topic

UNITY 2020 RTB HELP PLEASE

Hello...
We took delivery of our new unity in April. With COVID, we have not been able to use a lot or go far.
Only have 1900k on it.

We have several questions, in particular around the electrical system, 2000 watt inverter, generator and the solar system.
We are currently not staying where there is shore power and we don’t seem to be getting the maximum out of our power options.

First, we have completely lost coach power three times, to which we have started the engine and let run for 15 to 20 minutes to get power back. Much to the annoyance of our neighbouring campers. When this has happened we also could not start the generator. Not sure why this happens and what we need to do for it not to happen again.

Next we don’t understand why it seems the coach batteries are not staying charged through driving and solar? How long does it take to charge them using shore power if we get it, and how long us in other methods?

Next, there was a lot of hype about the 2000 watt inverter. So far we can not run the microwave for more than 60 seconds before it starts beeping. Same with a toaster. It powers the rechargeable vacuum and runs the stick blender fine.

Next, our panel shows our power to be between 12.2 and 11.8 most of the time.  When we turn on the generator, we get 14, today, after 2 hours when we turned it off, it went down to 12.6. We ran nothing while the generator was running.

Clearly we don’t understand and have a grasp of the electricity, the manuals are way too technical and are quite useless.  We are seeking someone that speaks in common language that might be able to help explain what we need to do in order to make our features work for us.

Any help anyone can offer would be very much appreciated. Thank goodness we have not needed HVAC so far.

HELP PLEASE

Re: UNITY 2020 RTB HELP PLEASE

Reply #1
Someone who knows this van AND how gto manage power systems in an RV will weigh in here with helpful info.  But they will require a lot more info,  e.g. what kind of batteries do you have.

Could be you have bad batteries.    Here is a state of charge table for lead acid.  12.6 is actually 100%.    So after generator ,  sounds like you're fully charged.  Then you should watch that carefully and see how fast they discharge.  If they discharge down to 12.2 pretty fast,  that would indicate bad batteries. 

You'll also have to learn how to read your inverter remote display for power coming in (e.g. from solar) and being used.  Did the coach come with a manual for the inverter?  If not,  you can download easily by searching for mfr and model

I'll try to link to the chart and then let others w/ more knowledge weigh in

https://i.stack.imgur.com/clBVt.gif

Good luck

Reply #2
sorry,  in above I mean you need to be able to read BOTH inverter/charger AND solar panels for information

Reply #3
How many watts of solar do you have?
Battery type?  AGM?
Idling the engine is not good for it, 10-15 max.  Driving will help charge the batteries, how long, depends on state of charge.
If you can start the engine, you should be able to start the generator after a short while. With engine running.
Letting you batteries go below 12.0 , which is 50% state of charge, is not good on them.  Do it enough times and the batteries will be ruined.
The inverter should run the micro, if the batteries are at a high SOC, if at 12.0 not for long.
Print out that battery level of charge Chart from above, and post it near where you read your voltages.
I assume you have a GoPower solar controller panel, learn to use it. It will show you SOC, volts, amps going in & out.  But the best device for keeping track of your battery condition is a battery monitor, like a Victron 712.  Reading voltages is just an approximation, a monitor will give you accurate numbers.
If you read the battery voltage right after I charges, you are reading surface voltage, the real voltage would read correctly after the batteries rested for 4-5 hours, without any use.  This is where the monitor will give you the right numbers.
Just some thoughts......
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Someone who knows this van AND how gto manage power systems in an RV will weigh in here with helpful info.  But they will require a lot more info,  e.g. what kind of batteries do you have.

Could be you have bad batteries.    Here is a state of charge table for lead acid.  12.6 is actually 100%.    So after generator ,  sounds like you're fully charged.  Then you should watch that carefully and see how fast they discharge.  If they discharge down to 12.2 pretty fast,  that would indicate bad batteries. 

You'll also have to learn how to read your inverter remote display for power coming in (e.g. from solar) and being used.  Did the coach come with a manual for the inverter?  If not,  you can download easily by searching for mfr and model

I'll try to link to the chart and then let others w/ more knowledge weigh in

https://i.stack.imgur.com/clBVt.gif

Good luck

hello
Thanks for the help. I learned a lot with your chart and reply.
Everything is new. Only 2000K on the unit.
Batteries are AGM discovet dry cell
Invertor is Xantrex and freedon X is on the display it came with a manual but it makes not sense in laymen terms.
So yesterday we ran Friday we ran the onboard generator (propane) for two hours. When done our power was 12.6.
We drove about 30K yesterday and it was 12.6 when we returned.
Only running lights and USBs overnight.
This morning we were at 12.3
When I turned rhe inventor on the microwave powered up but as soon as we tried to use it  we got beeping from the invertor. What should I be checking ? Does the invertor have to be on for a period of time before use ?
The solar is what came from LTV and 400 watts. We were told we never have to do anything to push the solar to the  batteries is automotic

I hope this is enough information to help me further. I cannot seem to attach pics here. But can email. The address is rheboyztravel@gmail.com

Thanks for the help and any more you can offer.

Reply #5
How many watts of solar do you have?
Battery type?  AGM?
Idling the engine is not good for it, 10-15 max.  Driving will help charge the batteries, how long, depends on state of charge.
If you can start the engine, you should be able to start the generator after a short while. With engine running.
Letting you batteries go below 12.0 , which is 50% state of charge, is not good on them.  Do it enough times and the batteries will be ruined.
The inverter should run the micro, if the batteries are at a high SOC, if at 12.0 not for long.
Print out that battery level of charge Chart from above, and post it near where you read your voltages.
I assume you have a GoPower solar controller panel, learn to use it. It will show you SOC, volts, amps going in & out.  But the best device for keeping track of your battery condition is a battery monitor, like a Victron 712.  Reading voltages is just an approximation, a monitor will give you accurate numbers.
If you read the battery voltage right after I charges, you are reading surface voltage, the real voltage would read correctly after the batteries rested for 4-5 hours, without any use.  This is where the monitor will give you the right numbers.
Just some thoughts......

Everything is new. Only 2000K on the unit.
Batteries are AGM discovet dry cell
Invertor is Xantrex and freedon X is on the display it came with a manual but it makes not sense in laymen terms.
So yesterday we ran Friday we ran the onboard generator (propane) for two hours. When done our power was 12.6.
We drove about 30K yesterday and it was 12.6 when we returned.
Only running lights and USBs overnight.
This morning we were at 12.3
When I turned rhe inventor on the microwave powered up but as soon as we tried to use it  we got beeping from the invertor. What should I be checking ? Does the invertor have to be on for a period of time before use ?
The solar is what came from LTV and 400 watts. We were told we never have to do anything to push the solar to the  batteries is automotic

I hope this is enough information to help me further. I cannot seem to attach pics here. But can email. The address is rheboyztravel@gmail.com

Thanks for the help and any more you can offer.

Reply #6
Ok.  I believe you have 2 6V AGM batteries wired in series in that Unity to give you 12V of power.

I also believe the original chart I linked you to for state of charge is accurate,  although I've come across some that are slightly different.  SOMEONE MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN I ON AGM'S CAN WEIGH IN.    But I think you can use it for this purpose

Sounds like your batteries charge to ~ 100% thru driving and/ or generator.  That's good

Also sounds like overnight they drop to 12.3V,  or ~ 70%.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  Seems like you have good batteries.
(you said only lights and USB overnight.  What about fridge?). 

Have no idea whether solar is working well or not.  No info provided

Seems like the only problem is you can't run the microwave on inverter.  In your new LTV manuals there should be a section on power mgt that helps you understand what appliances you can run on the inverter.  I THINK you can run the microwave,  but possibly not if other energy-using appliances are also on.    And yes,  maybe you need to wait 3 min after turning on inverter before trying microwave.    Look for that section on power mgt in your manuals;  and try the wait 3 min strategy

As Harry says,  try to not run your batteries to below 12.0 very often.  It shortens the life of these nice AGM's.    But 12.3 overnight is no problem at all!

I don't have a Unity.  I'm answering your questions from memory when I used to have a MB Sprinter Van about 5 years ago.

Reply #7
It sounds like your micro, or are you trying to use the convection, Is overloading the inverter?
Maybe the micro is defective?
Does the micro work on shore power and generator?
Does the micro work when you are seeing 12.6 lots?

Yes, solar is always charging your batteries, but you must be parked in the sun.  In the shade you won’t get much.  Do you know where your GoPower solar controller is located?  It has useful information, check it out.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #8
I have a 2020 Unity 24mb. Behind the fuse panel by the entertainment area there is a new product that has been added to the Unity vans called BatteryProtect BP100. It is designed to cut off power to high draw items (lights, a/c, fridge, microwave) when battery power reaches a preset low value. Allowing voltage to drop below 11.8 will significantly shorten battery life and below 11.6 is terrible.
This is a great addition, especially for dry campers, but unfortunately it is not readily accessible and not clearly mentioned or discussed to any length in manuals. I currently have mine bypassed as I rarely dry camp or not use genset. Hope this helps. Here is a link to the BatteryProtect:  https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Battery-Protect-65-A--100-A--220-A-EN.pdf