"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Dish Tailgater trouble (Read 1923 times) previous topic - next topic

Dish Tailgater trouble

My 8 or 9 year old Tailgater is starting to give me problems.  Biggest issue is losing signal and needing to re-acquire satellites almost every day.  Sometimes it doesn’t find all expected birds, leaving me without many channels.

Dish has been less than helpful, suggesting I just hook it directly to the receiver bypassing internal connections.

Any trouble shooting advice?  I don’t want to start replacing receiver and Tailgater if I can fix this.  BTW, I am in the desert with very clear view to the south.

These things are amazing when they work properly as mine did for many years.

Thanks.

Re: Dish Tailgater trouble

Reply #1
My Tailgater or receiver is also starting to act up on the road, but not at home.
Clear sky, message pops up, “complete signal loss, etc”  or the signal loss message with a picture behind it?  How can you have a picture with signal loss?. 
Dish says my cable is bad between Tailgator and receiver, replaced the cable, still signal loss.
Dish says we need to be closer to spot beam, they change it, still signal loss.
My receiver is in a small cabinet, dish says it’s too warm, so I cut a hole, installed a muffin fan, still signal loss!
My guess, they don’t know what the problem is.
Couple years ago I told Winegard that my Tailgator sounds like metal on metal grinding gears, I asked if I could lube it, they said no, grinding noise is normal!  It has kept on grinding.
I think I will check with Winegurda about the signal loss.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Re: Dish Tailgater trouble

Reply #2
Thanks for feedback Harry.  We have moved today and everything fired up fine tonight.  We’ll see what happens tomorrow. 
We had heat issues with another motorhome.  We’ve actually removed the “glasss” section on the cabinet where the receiver is and installed a wire mesh screen....looks great too.  I’ve also removed an elbow connector and have coax wired directly to back of receiver.
Thanks again....stay tuned.