"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Ladder (Read 5654 times) previous topic - next topic

Ladder

I recently purchased a 2013 U24TB but it doesn't have a roof access ladder, I contacted a local RV Center / La Mesa RV to have one installed and I was informed me that it likely doesn't have the required backing embedded into the end cap to be able to mount the ladder to the RV. Can anyone let me know if they have had a similar scenario with their RV.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

JW
Wishes

Re: Ladder

Reply #1
I understand what they are saying. I am assuming the dealer is a Leisure Travel Van dealer? When we went to purchase the camper on my wish list was a ladder. We found a camper that we liked on a lot but there was no ladder. At the end of the day, we really didn't need it and I don't miss it. We use a step ladder when washing and that seems to work fine. Good Luck, happy camping.
Middle Haddam, CT
2019 Wonder FTB

Reply #2
Thanks, I guess after further thought I agree with the step ladder part.
Wishes

Reply #3
Hello..  Do not have our Unity yet, it will be delivered in August 2019!  However from the research we have done, decided to not have the ladder option added to ours...  What helped us make that decision was the opening 'skylight' in the Unity and a DIY project a fellow was doing adding an antenna.  He used the window and a step ladder for roof access from inside the unit.  Not sure what the 2013 Unity may have but that was his solution.

Reply #4
If you have solar panels they need to be washed and kept clean.
  I am not going to carry a stepladder (where to plut it?) during our 6 months of traveling.
We are getting our Wonder FTB in 7 days and dealer refuses to install a ladder!
Anyone know of a dealer that will install them?
Harry
Tempe Az
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #5

I think the dealer is saying it only available as a factory option? I don't think dealers like installing as a dealer add on. I don't have the measurements of below but this might fit in the side compartment (telescoping ladder). If you can find one that does I would think it is more useful to clean the panels from the side that standing on the roof.

Amazon.com: Bowoshen Telescoping Ladder 12.5ft Aluminum Telescopic Extension...

Middle Haddam, CT
2019 Wonder FTB

Reply #6
The dealer said it was a liability issue to installl a ladder! Isn’t working on brakes a liability issue also???
I chatted with the factory, said any dealer can install it, the supporting backing is there.

I have one of those that fold about 4” square but it is only 6’ tall, too shakes to stand anywhere near the top. I guess find room for that collapsible lagger.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #7
Thanks, I am also considering at 12.5 ft. telescoping ladder for our travels.

Reply #8
Home Depot on line has an 8 ft. ladder that collapses down to about 2 ft. and a silicone top is available for leaning against the coach. It’s perfect for washing, plenty long to get on the roof and small enough to take along

Reply #10
It would help if they would give you the collapsed dimensions to see if it fits our storage compartment.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #12

Not the same manufacturer (the HD one is Xtend and Climb), so do be sure to compare.  One comment I see on the 'Zon one is that the tips are hard plastic, not soft rubber, and you need to wrap them with something so they don't scratch the coach.  there are some other 1* reviews stating this one collapsed on a few folks.

I do see Amazon has the Xtend and Climb 10.5 ft but not the 8 ft. 
2017 Unity CB

Reply #14
Looks good, and they give you all the dimensions.
So have you been on the roof using this ladder?  Did you feel comfortable?  I know, nothing to hold on to for support.  I threw a rope around the skylight for something to hold on to.
Nice that it will fit in the tall cabinet in FTB .
I decided to do our first 5 month trip without a ladder, we will see how that works.
 I think my panels need cleaning by now, but then the other day I was getting 22.2 amps input.  Highest I have seen. Factory 400 watts.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #15
The Home Depot 8 ft. Ladder collapses to 27.5 inches and the offer a silicone topper for it that protects the van finish perfectly

Reply #16
I like the leader to extend past the roof line so that you have something to hold onto when getting down.
I bungee a piece of carpet around ladder where it touches the roof.

So have you used the 8’ ladder?  Did you feel secure?

The tall cabinet is 44” high, the width of ladder is the issue.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #17
I had a 2017 Unity MB and hung the ladder in the right rear tall compartment, it fit just fine. Originally I thought I would use it inside to go up thru the skylight but found it works just fine outside. Getting on and off the roof is no problem I feel very secure (69 years old). Have a Unity IB on order and will definitely be carrying the ladder along.

Reply #18
The rear exterior wall of the 2010 Unity is just a thin fiberglass molded panel. I installed a ladder myself, but this required adding some reinforcing 3/4 inch plywood to the interior of the panel. At the top I rudely cut an opening in the fiberglass (4" circle) to insert the wood and to hold the required nuts with my fingers. (The cut-out was then epoxied back into the opening.)
At the base of the ladder, one can access the RV's rear panel through the storage compartment by removing a portion of the interior panelling. Here a 3/4" plywood reinforcement does the job as well.
An RV shop would refuse to mutilate a vehicle in this way, and merely screwing the ladder to the "skin" would certainly trigger some serious liability issues.  You have to make a prudent decision on whether to modify a vehicle to your own requirements, or to let it be the sacrosanct "perfection" that the builders decided.