"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Newbie questions: Wonder RTB ground clearance, etc (Read 3828 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie questions: Wonder RTB ground clearance, etc

Hi there!  True confession, I have been lurking and reading as much as possible on this forum, the LTV owners section and watching every possible video until my head swims.  I plan on moving from a Bigfoot TT to a small motorhome.  Thanks to all who share their experience and insights.  I am just about to “get in line” for a Wonder RTB (wait time 20-24 months as of this morning) and have a few real world questions.

On the Ford 350 Transit RTB:
1). The actual measurement for the ground clearance under the unit at the lowest point?
2). What is located in that most vulnerable spot?
3). Anyone add caster wheels to the frame to assist?
4). Has anyone bottomed-out yet?
Reason: I have a weird driveway approach.

Interior passenger side dinette seat:
5). Actual dimensions of the dinette seat platform -not the cushion- on the passenger side. 
Reason:  Considering permanent attachment points for a dog kennel.  I am assuming that platform is fixed and not floating for access to space below.

Lastly, does anyone near Boise, Idaho have one they would allow me to see? Of any model?
I have tried to contact the “wagon master” for the Evergreen club in the NW to see if I could visit at the Prosser, WA rally this May, but have not heard back.
Reason:  It is a stretch for me to drop this much coin on something I have never been in!  Admired from afar, yes, but not stepped inside!

Thanks in advance for your time and help.  I hope to join the crew!
Tornak

Re: Newbie questions: Wonder RTB ground clearance, etc

Reply #1
The passenger seat is 65cmx65 square but one corner is cut off at the 45cm mark on on corner of the square. It would be easier to simply remove it and replace it with the dog house and likely be safer as well as the platform is not designed to carry a lot of weight while traveling down the road.

The hitch is the lowest point at 11.5" besides the rear axle, but that's not going to hit anything.
Gerald Miller
WonderRTB 2020 (delivered Nov 2019)

Reply #2
Thank you for reply.
Somewhere along the way I got it stuck in my head at 5.5 inches (14cm).  That would likely be a “major drag” on the edge of sidewalk when approaching my weird driveway.  Pun intended.
An actual owner measurement is much appreciated!

Tornak

Reply #3
I also remember 5.5 inches but I think I know where.  Mike and Jennifer had an auto leveling system added to their Wonder and I believe he said thats the clearance on those added leveling legs.

Reply #4
Ahhh, yes.  I watched that video too.  You may be spot on .. that might be where I got the 5.5 inches lodged in my wee brain!
Thanks so much,

Reply #5
5.5" seems awfully low considering sports cars have more clearance than that. Maybe with "Snap Pads" on that may be the case? Hopefully someone will be able to take an actual measurement for you!
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Reply #6
Mike also mentioned that they "lost" one of their snap pads when he hit a pot hole.
Don in PA