"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Towing (Read 7460 times) previous topic - next topic

Towing

We just ordered 2021 Unity MB. We live in Colorado. Wondering if anyone has any experience towing Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Trying to decide if we should go with 2 door or 4 door. My wife wanted to go for a Mini Cooper. I talked her into the Jeep because of were we live. Appreciate any thoughts on this?

Re: Towing

Reply #1
We have a 2019 LTV MB. We travel from Florida or North Georgia to Breckenridge every summer. We have a 2014 Jeep Sahara two door and a 2018 Jeep Sahara four door.  We keep one Jeep at our primary residence in Florida and the other in our second home in North Georgia.  So, depending on where we leave from, we tow one or the other  to Breckenridge without a problem. The 2 door is lighter, and shorter so it is a bit easier in the mountains, but the four door has not been a problem either. To minimize weight,  We do travel with very little water in the LTV, and empty black and grey tanks.. Also, have only a half or less gas in the Jeep’s when we travel over Interstate 70 or other mountainous areas. We have disconnected the Jeep on occasions, with my wife driving it over very steep areas when we had it loaded with a lot of heavy gear including 2 ebikes etc. We have been doing this for the last seven years without incident.

Reply #2
Thanks for that reply.  We have a 2015.5 Unity MB and live in the Denver area and Fountain Hills Arizona in the winter.  We just purchased a 2014 Jeep Sahara 2 door which we drive at both locations and will tow with the Unity.  WE are just getting ready for our first outing towing it to some areas in Arizona.  Your response has added a little confidence to our first trip towing.  Thanks again.

Reply #3
Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated. Can't wait to receive our Unity!!

Reply #4
We tow a 2020 Chevy Spark, manual transmission with our 2020 Unity TB. The decision points were weight, high ground clearance and semi-comfortable ride for exploring. The Spark is a 3rd World car (approved by Chevy for towing) with higher than normal ground clearance for not only towing trouble free but also exploring back country dirt/gravel roads. It tows like it is not there. Three major trips so far including the Blue Ridge Parkway, South Texas and just back from a Central Texas Hill Country trip. Average fuel mileage on Van is 15 m.p.g. while towing. E-trailer did the conversion work/setup and I could not be happier. It takes me roughly 2 minutes to either hookup or unhook. Only two mistakes in turn diameter estimation so far but each time it happened unhook/recovery was quick, just embarrassing. Other pluses that work well for us: It is possible to leave the car running and lock it with puppy dog staying in air conditioned comfort. Three 5-gallon collapsible water containers fit comfortably in the tiny trunk for boom docking water runs. The WiFi Hotspot is great and Apple Car Play keeps us from getting lost. We have taken another couple with us on short runs. Manual windows and door locks are a memory item but take away the fear of lost key/accidental locking.

Reply #5
We are just beginning to consider purchasing a Unity and as I understand it, the tow capacity is 4,000 pounds, so I would want to know what Jeeps weigh.  We are not in the market for a jeep, but I suspect a Jeep is close to if not over the tow capacity of a Leisure Van.

Reply #6
We are just beginning to consider purchasing a Unity and as I understand it, the tow capacity is 4,000 pounds......

I think the towing capacity is closer to 5k.
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Reply #8
We just ordered 2021 Unity MB. We live in Colorado. Wondering if anyone has any experience towing Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Trying to decide if we should go with 2 door or 4 door. My wife wanted to go for a Mini Cooper. I talked her into the Jeep because of were we live. Appreciate any thoughts on this?

We've owned a 2013 Unity TB for seven years & now a 2021 Wonder RL & have never found a need to tow a vehicle.  My wife & I & a 70lb Golden Retriever.  Never had a problem parking, we have all our necessities with us all the time, wherever we go.  I would suggest you try it without a extra vehicle & then make your decision.  It can be a hassle going into Gas Stations, you can't back up without disconnecting the tow vehicle.  Try it without, you may find it fits your needs.
2021 LTV Wonder Rear Lounge - White Suede

2013 LTV Unity Twin Bed (Sold)

Reply #9
We just got home from a 2,000 plus mile trip in our 2019 TB towing a two-door Jeep Wrangler. Except for losing 2-3 mpg, we could barely tell it was back there.

Reply #10
We just got home from a 2,000 plus mile trip in our 2019 TB towing a two-door Jeep Wrangler. Except for losing 2-3 mpg, we could barely tell it was back there.

Thanks Fesser. Do you know the gross weight of your wrangler? Also, which tow bar do you use? We are about to buy a wrangler sport (GVWR = 5k) and would like to tow it behind our 2020 unity MB.