"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Destinations in an LTV (Read 2962 times) previous topic - next topic

Destinations in an LTV

Being new to this forum, yet recognizing I may have to post answers to my one threads, I am going to pull up a new thread on destinations.  My RV experience has been well over 100,000 miles, about half with a large Class A ( even up to Keystone in Colorado at 11,000 feet in this) but mostly with an Airstream trailer pulled by a Dodge?Cummins 3/4 ton FWD p/u with huge power>

My last long trip, pulling to 8200 feet near Snowbird in Utah saw great scenery including Aitchison, Kansas, home of Amelia Earhart, and the ATSF Railroad Museum. Then from Snowbird, of course, one must drop down to Moab and tour along the Colorado River along Hwy 128 up to I-70, stopping in Grand Junction, Colorado for the night.  Here is an example of the scenery ....IDAA Tour_V_08.06.2017_TFL-3-1 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Or, on the way out... in St. Vrain State Park, Longmont, Colorado...
IDAA Tour_07.31.2017_TFL-12 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Destinations... well, lots, and I will be posting more images here, even if only to entertain myself...LOL 

This is, as Dean might say, of course, to keep busy while waiting for my 2019 U24CB due from Schaap's' Traveland in Sioux Falls, sometime in September.
Msmoto aka Ms. Tommie Lauer
2019 Unity Corner Bed due in early September

Re: Destinations in an LTV

Reply #1
As I think I have stated, I will be attempting to keep this thread active for awhile to see if the entire site wants to become an active forum, or just fall by the wayside.  I am not a FaceBook fan, way too much in issues there, but will be active here fro awhile.

So, from near 37.940784, -105.327003 in Colorado, looking south...
IDAA Tour_III_08.06.2017_TFL-3-9 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

But near there is a small ranch...
IDAA Tour_III_08.06.2017_TFL-3-11 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

OK, bison, and Wolf Springs Ranch.... little over 55,000 acres

Enjoy.... LOL

Reply #2
Great pictures.... What made you change to LTV from Airstream? We downsized from a 38' DP Foretravel.
Middle Haddam, CT
2019 Wonder FTB

Reply #3
My Airstream 30' Serenity was towed by a Dodge/Cummins beast and I was 53' overall when towing.  Once stopped I had to disconnect, set up the generator, and when ready to leave, get the generator back in the truck, and hook up the Airstream.

At my age this was becoming too much of a task, thus I ordered a new LTV from Schaap's in Sioux Falls, South Dakota last October.  Then changed to a 2019 model year about December, so the delivery date is sometime in September.

I like the idea of 25' long, able to drive around almost like a small truck, or leave it parked and rent a car.  For good dry camping I have the 400w solar, diesel generator, and the new four point hydraulic leveler system coming.

Reply #5
Not a lot of folks around here.... my impression is.... this forum is on its last breath. 

But, another photo... this one from Colorado...

IDAA_V_08.15.2017_TFL-1 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

No one on this forum

Reply #6
Well, no real interest in the forum.... I think I will go home....

Reply #7
 :D Why is it so complicated? I think just directly connect cummins generator to the Van might be better.

Reply #8
:D Why is it so complicated? I think just directly connect cummins generator to the Van might be better.

Has anyone mounted a generator in the pulling truck, and instead of using the STD electrical cord (the one used in a campground) mount an electrical box near or on the kingpin bracket, then running directly to the main breaker inside the 5er? My goal is to make it as easy as possible to make the connection while on the road, and not have to lug the heavy 50Amp cord to the generator. I am not even sure there is enough cord to reach the truck.

Reply #9
We live in Texas and have adventure traveled all over the USA, tent camping and backpacking. Two years ago we went to the Guadalupe Mts. in west Texas for a week. In our youth sleeping in a tent on a Therm-a-Rest mattress worked fine, but not any longer. Before the end of the week, we decided it was time for a motor home.  After researching all summer on weekends, we settled on the LTV MB model.

Back to traveling: We have stayed at many of the fine Texas state parks and several National parks.  We also recommend Glacier National Park and the whole state of Utah.  A rare treasure in Utah is Goblin Valley State Park which has some unusual rock formations and showers. They may have RV hookups.