"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Tow vehicle, Bbraking system (Read 4469 times) previous topic - next topic

Tow vehicle, Bbraking system

Considering getting a toad for our LTV Unity... suggestions from those with experience in this area.  Also interested in hearing suggestions on a tow breaking system...

Thanks
Jerry
Tooblue

Re: Tow vehicle, Bbraking system

Reply #1
Good light weight: Toyota Scion, stick shift only
                              Honda Fit, stick up to current year, automatic up tp 2013 or so
There are others, check publications for what is towable 4 wheels down.  They change often.

Braking system, my advice, get one that can be moved to other vehicles. 
Box systems are mostly a pain to set up but can be moved to other vehicles.
Permanently mounted very easy to use but expensive. To move to another car.
There are also systems that work only with air brakes, like in large diesel pushers.
There are brakes that are part of your tow bar, easy to move to another car.
Just do your studies, or ask what people use with their Unity.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #2
We tow a 2014 Honda CRV,.  That was the last year CR-V that I know of that was tow-able 4 down, after that they went to new CVT transmissions and automatic towing options disappeared.

For supplemental brakes we use the Air Force One

As Harry correctly pointed out that system kind of goes with the car when you sell it, so its not cheap to install or then replace in the future.  It is however easy to use, compact and works very well.

Reply #3
Thank you for the information and suggestions.  I have been checking out the Roadmaster Invisi Braking System.  Looking to purchase a 2014 Honda CRV, and this looks like a good fit...

Jerry
Tooblue

Reply #4
My tow bar, hitch dealer suggested the Brake Buddy systems to me as they are reasonable and easier to move to another vehicle. The BB company has been around a while, offers several models and supposedly they out sell all the other brands.  One RV forum emphasized the importance of following the user instructions to avoid the toad vehicle brakes locking up.

Reply #5
My tow bar, hitch dealer suggested the Brake Buddy systems to me as they are reasonable and easier to move to another vehicle.

Really not a fan of the boxes that have to push/brace against the seat of the toad to operate.  True, they are portable and can be moved between vehicles, but you also now have a large item to stash somewhere when not needed.  Plus there are a number of folks out there who have reported issues with them engaging/dragging the toad's brakes accidentally.

We've had 3 toads now, and all have had a proportional, installed braking system (with a breakaway and an indicator).  The first systems we had were US Gear - awesome system but no longer in business.  The current toad has an SMI Stay n' Play. 
2017 Unity CB

Reply #6
You might consider the brake and tow bar called Ready Brute
ReadyBrute™ Elite RV Tow Bar

I would seriously consider this system if it has good reviews.
I have 2 brake systems sitting in the garage because they could not be moved to another toad!
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #8
I have an M&G in my 2008 Jeep Liberty. Fantastic, proportional system. Easy to hook up with 1 1/4” DOT tubing and breakaway lanyard. Problem is that our Unity does not have air brakes and the air compressor with physical plumbing into the MB braking was too expensive for now. Many new vehicles just do not have the physical space to install the auxiliary air cylinder.
I chose the RVi3 brake.
After a 1000+ miles, it has performed well. The RVi3 is relatively compact and is easy enough to install, then remove.
Installation of a dedicated 12volt supply as well as the breakaway switch was easy enough. The Android remote is fairly useful.
One on my decisions was based on portability.
If your floor pan does not have an adequate upset to push against, RVi provides a push plate to install.
So far...so good.

Reply #9
I agree M G Brake system is great, have one in the garage, just not practical for hydraulic brake systems.
So I purchased a system that I can move to different vehicles.  Big mistake for my Honda Fit. Purchased a Roadmaster Even Brake, easy set up sure,if it a large car, in the Fit, many times I give up.  Can’t get both hands in there, can’t see what you are doing, all done by feel!
And not really plug n play, the sender has to be wired into the brake line, I could not do it had To pay Roadmaster to do it.
And if you want to use it in another car you have buy a second car kit for some $100!
Is the Irv3 easy to install?  Do it yourself?  Easy to move?
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #10
The RVi3 is relatively easy to install. If you look on their website, find your vehicle for installation details.
1). Can you utilize your current lighter connection or is their a need to run a dedicated receptacle from your towed vehicle battery.
2). The breakaway switch can be pressure tape mounted (supplied), then find a path to get inside to the RVi3 brake area.
3). Some vehicles require a charging circuit from the RV. That can beep purchased separately.

After 1000+ miles utilizing the RVi3 brake system, I have learned:
1). The Android computer has a very short battery life, so it must stay powered, i.e. another 12volt connection near the dash.
2). With a vacuum assisted brake booster, you can set braking force by selecting different vehicle types in setup
3). You can not set at what level of deceleration you want the RVi3 brake to come in. That is pre-set by the factory. In heavy rain, my anti-lock braking system would engage before the RVi3 brake came on. On dry payment, everything in brakingville is great.
4). I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty at about 4200#. The light SUV setting was not enough for my taste. I changed to the regular SUV setting and like the results. So far, no clouds of tire dust on hard braking.

Hope this helps.

Reply #11
Call E-trailer.  Did a 2016 Chevy Colorado with everything for flat towing.  Wonderful experience.

Reply #12
Thanks TravelFit for your recommendation of the RVi3 Brake System. We are getting a Smart Fortwo rigged and will install the RVi3 Brake System before we hit the road in early June.  Several years back we owned a Callista Cove (Class C) coach and did not use an auxiliary braking system.  We are older and wiser now.

Safe travels to all out there in RV land.