"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Shower Skylight Reflective Insulated Insert (Read 3665 times) previous topic - next topic

Shower Skylight Reflective Insulated Insert

Is anyone aware of a Reflective Insulated Insert for the Unity Shower Skylight? I want to reduce as much as possible the sunlight and heat that enters my RV during sunny days. Since I am tall, I also prefer that this could easily removed.  Does such accessory already exist?  I can resort to make one if necessary.

Thanks,
Kibbles

Re: Shower Skylight Reflective Insulated Insert

Reply #2
Thanks much. That item would be perfect if it would fit.  It is exactly what I was searching for. Unfortunately, the Camco item suggested only Measures: 14.63"L x 3.56"W x 14.63"H.  The Shower skylight is a pentagon measuring 22-1/2 by 22-1/2 with one corner cut off.

I am contacting Camco to find out if they offer one that will fit the Unity skylight or if they can manufacture one. Will keep everyone posted on their response.

Kibbles

Reply #3
I would guess you will need to make your own, I have not seen any for sale.
I would like one also!
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #4
I am going to make my own using a dollar store  windshield reflective sun shade ($2) and some foam.  Not sure I'll use foam quite as thick as that one on Amazon.  Right now I have a temporary shower skylight cover just using a piece of cardboard cut to fit.  I tuck it up inside the skylight and it stays there under its own friction.

Reply #5
Thanks Charlie Gotta.  The item you referenced is not large enough for the two skylights in my Unity so we will make our own.

After a much thought, a consultation with my spouse and some research of available materials, we have settled on using the following:
For the top reflective material we will cut a section to fit, from a "Space All-Weather Blanket" from REI Co-op @ http://bit.ly/2Qcx4Vf.
Then, sew this to a scrap of cloth possibly a towel for the sides and bottom. Inside this case will be a piece of dense foam rubber from Michele's Craft Store or another supplier cut to fit the show skylight and the large skylight near the cabin.    Basically, we intend to create a reflective foam filled insert like the one that Camco offers.

I will keep you posted on how this all works and possibly offer up a photo or two.

Reply #7
Thanks Harrysalit,

We looked at that product and considered it.  We use a large piece of it now for a windshield sun reflector in our unity now.  Our experience is that if breaks down after a while.

BTW, my wife loves a challenge and likes to sew.

Reply #8
For the windshield and 2 side windows I purchased HeatShield foil covers, appear well made, custom fit. Makes a big difference.

Anyone know how to paste a picture here, won’t for me.

Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #9
Thank you sir.  Sounds excellent.

Reply #11
Charlie Gotta,

Excellent suggestion. Thanks much.  I can envision that product in several places.