"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: 2019 Wonder over heating issue (Read 4465 times) previous topic - next topic

2019 Wonder over heating issue

To all Wonder owners

On our recent 8 week trip out west we ran into a issue with overheating. This occurred with 5,128 miles on the odometer. Fortunately we were able to get to a Ford Dealer near Glacier National Park without the need for roadside assistance. We got to the dealer first thing on a Monday morning and were told that a hole had rubbed through the "upper coolant hose". The service tech told us that it wasn't the first time he had seen this problem on the Transit. He told us when Ford assembles these units they have 2 hoses setting on top of one another and over time (5128 miles in our case) one hose rubs a hole in the other. He told us when replacing he "rolls" the one hose so they no longer touch, thus solving any future problem. It was Thursday afternoon before we were able to get back on the road, part had to be ordered. Fortunately we were able to stay in the Wonder in the dealer lot while they waited for the part. Even though it was covered by the warranty it still seemed like a crazy thing to have go wrong on a new vehicle. I'm suggesting to all that have a Wonder to check or have your dealer check next time you have it serviced to see if you have the same situation waiting to happen.The part# for the hose they replaced according to the invoice is BK3Z*8591*E HOSE-WATER.
Other than this one issue the Wonder was great. Averaged 17.1 miles/gallon over the 9,165 mile trip with no problems pulling the mountains or going over Teton Pass & Sonora Pass.

Happy RVing
Robert

PS. we rented a car while repair was being done which enabled us to drive Logan Pass in GNP. Couldn't do that with the Wonder. Also gifted our 3-day reservation in the park to someone who didn't have one.

Thanks in advance!
Robert

Re: 2019 Wonder over heating issue

Reply #1
Thank you for that tip!!!
We have 5000 miles on ours, close to a problem?

Only Ford issue so far, could not find a fleet dealer within150 miles to change the engine oil!! Took my oilto a quick change.

So far 15.5 mpg, towing a small car.

Anyone, what should transmission temp range be?  Most of the time around 215 saw 230 on a long hill.

Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Hi Harry, on the issue of oil change, I changed my own using MotorCraft 5W-40 full synthetic diesel oil along with the correct Fram filter. I got the "change oil message" at about  2300 miles. I thought we'd have to get several oil changes on the 8 week trip. I suggested to the service tech in Montana to maybe change while it was in for the overheating. He advised me to wait for the message to come up on the dash which the manual states you 500 miles from time you get the message, no need to do prematurely.
He said the original oil is a "packing oil" which is why the message came up so quick. 9,165 miles on the change I did with no message yet. Manual says change every 10,000 miles regardless. Manual also has instructions for resetting the message system after doing a oil change.

Robert

PS. bought oil & filter from Amazon ($120)

Thanks in advance!
Robert

Reply #3
I thought it would be prudent to have Ford do the first change.
I have changed it in a diesel pusher, in a campground, but now at 82 no desire.
I have read about Fram filters, many say use Wicks or Napa Gold.  This time I used Napa Platinum, $13 +-, pricey.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Transmission temps, did not find anything specific for Transits, this was suggested for Ford trucks , etc
After warm up 190- 210
220 start to worry
230 think about stopping and let it cool off!
But short periods (what is short) are OK. 
The damage to the  oil is cumulative, so if you run hot often think about changing the oil early.

I saw about 235 once on a long climb with a 2600 lb toad and the Wonder is at max weight.

Also, a number of Wonder owners said they got the change oil message early, one at 2700 miles, some around 5000.
Normal suggested is 10,000 but good to get out the “ breaking oil”
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #5
How are you getting transmission fluid temps?

Reply #6
Scan Guage Il,  and lot of other info, just have not set all up.
Right now a real water temp, instant fuel mileage plus trans.  Can be set to monitor 4 things at one time.
Plugs in to the OBD....port.  $130 or so, look for sale prices.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #7
Where did you mount the gauge?  Got a picture?

Reply #8
Top center, Velcro. Hope picture post.
So radiator hose posted!  Will try again.
Top hoses not touching.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #9
Top center
You get the idea!
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #10
Harry,

Noticed your front window shade.... Where did you find that?

Thanks
Charlie
Middle Haddam, CT
2019 Wonder FTB

Reply #11
It is by Dash Design, Tempe, Az, have one in all of our vehicles!
Easy to use, just pull from fixed side. Cost about $50, available many sources.
The not so good, the tallest one they have is about 3” short top and bottom for the Wonder. 
Despite being short we use it almost exclusively, so easy, and the Heatshield windshield cover, which has good coverage, stays stored!  But then the Heatshield side window covers get used every day!

Nothing is perfect, easy to use but the heat is already inside.  Outside covers, a can be a pain.
What really helps  a lot is the curtain behind the cab seats.

Dashboard Covers, Dash Covers, Car Seat Covers, Car Floor Mats | Dash Designs
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #12
I agree about the curtain.... Was the shade easy to install?

Thanks
Middle Haddam, CT
2019 Wonder FTB

Reply #13
We use the WeatherTech SunShade.  We stand the sides up behind the driver seat when not in use.  The windshield cover is rolled up and also stored behind the driver seat.  The weather tech has a silver side and a black side.  The black side is supposed to be used in the winter to help heat the windshield to prevent snow/frost buildup.  Haven't had my Wonder long enough to try that out.

2016 Ford Transit | Windshield Sun Shade - Custom Car Window and Windshield...

Reply #14
Rick,

If I understand what you're saying you have the sunshade that sits on the inside of the windshield (WeatherTech) and you also have a windshield cover for outside?

I have a window shade that I unroll and put up but find it somewhat awkward to use. I like Harry's one that is always there that you just pull across. Maybe the Weather Tec is easier to use than what I have.

Charlie 
Middle Haddam, CT
2019 Wonder FTB

Reply #15
The front set sold by WeatherTech has a windshield cover (inside) and inside covers for the driver & passenger windows.  We do not roll up the latter.  They just stand up behind the driver seat.  For the windshield cover, I pull it from the windshield (drivers side) and start to roll it up.  I then twist it such that I have the roll in both hands and the rest of the cover swings over my head.  Then finish rolling it up and use the attached velcro strap to keep it rolled up. 

I have one like Harry's in my BMW.  It works well.  I purchased it here:
Eclipse Sunshades | Windshield Sun Shade | Custom Retractable Car Sun Shade

I'd get the height measurement for your windshield (measure glass from top to bottom) and contact them to see if it is also 3 inches short on the top & bottom like Harry's.  I bet Harry's is for a low roof Transit as the medium and high roofs (high on LTVs) have the same taller windshield.

EDIT:  We also have dark window tint down to the legal limit line on the windshield and clear tint on the rest of the windshield.  Yes, the clear is legal.  So with the tint, I didn't want to stick anything to it like the holders for the accordion shade or suction cups as other shades use.  BTW, we also have the clear on the driver and passenger windows.  We didn't want to make them darker because we were afraid it would affect night driving.  If you go this route be sure to get ceramic based coating so that cellular and wifi signals will pass through.  Other films have metallic components for the tinting.

Reply #16
From Dash Design I purchased the tallest one they had, I said it is too short, they said no other choice. Purchased it anyway for ease of use.
To back up this shade also purchased a Heatshield, shiney gold aluminum foil, that rolls up and does cover the entire windshield.  But it was a pain to put up and take down & did not seem to make that much difference normal in heat. It and the side covers do darken the cab. If we get into 100 temps, facing the sun I will put them up.

Now to get an awning for the drivers side living room window, 4.5’ should do.  Another over the refer vents?  So far refer temps have been ok, shade can’t hurt.  In it for past 5 months!
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #17
Top center, Velcro. Hope picture post.
So radiator hose posted!  Will try again.
Top hoses not touching.
I believe on my unit it was a radiator hose and the hose going to the recovery tank that were rubbing. I had a RV coming towards me at one point who flashed his lights at me (daytime hrs.) who was probably seeing steam spraying the road.
Thanks in advance!
Robert