"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: In-Depth RV Lithium Install & Wiring Film - Mike Mas (Read 3419 times) previous topic - next topic

In-Depth RV Lithium Install & Wiring Film - Mike Mas

In-Depth RV Lithium Install & Wiring Film - Mike Mas

Hello LTV Owners,

With all the excitement and activity regarding the integration of Lithium Batteries to RV’s, Linda and I decided document our own independent installation and share it with other RV owners who might be considering a lithium upgrade to their coach.

While there are many different levels of installations, our film shows a total conversion from flooded batteries, to a state of the art advanced lithium system. The film includes an overview of 12 & 110 volt wiring. It also covers our five different charging sources and most important, having the right RV appliances with a lithium coach. This film is applicable to type; B, B+, C, or A motorhomes.

A few of the key components are a pair of Lithionics Battery 400ah lithium packs (800AH) providing over 10 kilowatts of lithium power. The packs are regulated by a Lithionics advanced Bluetooth BMS module. The secondary component is Xantrex’s Freedom 3012, 3 kw inverter, with its 150 amp lithium protocol charger, SCP panel and Combox wireless system, connected to our MoFi 4500G 4G cell router, allowing monitoring and making changes to the system from any location. 

The system also includes a Mastervolt’s Charge Mate Pro for charging from the stock Transit alternator, and Victon’s solar controller and 400 watts of roof panels. The film also includes installation of a Ring 4G alarm system with cameras and a lithium heating system.

Enjoy - Mike Mas

https://youtu.be/nyAAxNqKCOg

Mike Mas Rotory

Re: In-Depth RV Lithium Install & Wiring Film - Mike Mas

Reply #1
Thank you,
Where would all this equipment go in FTB? Might get three 100 amps Lithium in battery compartment but 800??
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Not exactly sure what your floor plan is but I've seen some pretty compact installations. I specifically bought the Wonder for upgrading it to lithium.  A lot of guys use the smaller type 31 batteries and install them where your flooded batteries are located. If you're not planning on running the roof air, the install is pretty simple.

Mike
Mike Mas Rotory

Reply #3
Hey guys - Just wanted to update the thread concerning my operation of the heating system. Last week my coach was exposed to temperatures of 14 degrees, yet the heater kept the battery and BMS temperature and compartment right at 41 degrees. Lithium battery manufactures recommend that lithium not be stored in extreme lower temperatures.

The heater is primarily designed for when the coach is parked to prevent the BMS from shutting down the 12 volt power system, allowing the battery to be charged in colder weather where otherwise it would not be possible.

This heater system serves a few other purposes since I store some of my drones and their lithium batteries in this same compartment. It’s important to keep the drones IMU and lithium batteries within proper temperatures as well.

The heaters secondary use is for traveling in cold weather where the battery that powers the RV and heater circuit is charged by the engine alternator.

Thanks Mike

Mike Mas Rotory

Reply #4
For those who are planning a lithium installation using Lithionics Deluxe BMS, you’ll be happy to know their BMS is comparable and talks to any RV-C protocol display system. I provided some information below regarding the handshake.

Enjoy - Mike

Mike Mas Rotory

Reply #5
Hey guys - We had another great “Off The Grid” trip in our Lithium RV over the Holidays on a ride to Cincinnati, Ohio to to pick up our new BMW i3. The trip was five days and we never plugged one time or stopped at a campground. The battery system operated flawlessly to provide plenty of heat at night as well as run the entertainment devices. The beauty of lithium RV conversions such as mine is they offer the ability to spend a night where you want to stay, rather than in a campground miles from your destination. For this trip we ended up staying two nights right on BMW dealers lot, surrounded by millions of dollars of new BMW’s as they prepped our new I3.

While on the subject of lithium, new technology in lithium chemistry is transforming electric cars and RV's. Using the same battery space my older I3, the new BMW i3 has almost tripled its electric mileage.

Our older 2014 I3 had a range of around 60 miles on battery and 58 miles on gas for an average good weather total of 120 miles. Thanks to this new lithium technology, the original 18 kWh battery has been replaced with a 42.2 kWh. / 120ah pack. The i3  can now travel 180 miles on electric and 85 miles gas for a total of 265 miles.

Should you run low on battery, the I3 RX version includes a gas powered range extender using a de-tuned BMW 650 motorcycle gas engine. So if you're going on a long trip you can either fuel up with gas or stop at a number of Walmart's new network of super chargers which can charge the i3 battery to 80% in 20-30 min.

Since we’ve been back the temperatures have been getting down to 25-35 degrees at night. Thanks to special venting I incorporated to circulate air from the trunk to the coaches interior, the 350 watt lithium heater in the rear trunk keeps the entire coach at around 45 degrees, eliminating a need for winterizing. In the image below you can see the open area on the firewall where it vents to the coach. 

Regards - Mike 

Here's the link for my Wonder Upgrade video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyAAxNqKCOg&feature=youtu.be
Mike Mas Rotory

Reply #6
How do protect the pex lines outside the cabin and the macerator? And wouldn’t opening the small door that separates the cabin to the garage and use the furnace pretty much accomplish the same thing?
Gerald Miller
WonderRTB 2020 (delivered Nov 2019)

Reply #7
No the heat in the interior of the motorhone will not protect the lines outside in the water area. While you'll be OK for a day or so if you're using the coach you'll need to winterize it for storage.

Mike
Mike Mas Rotory

Reply #8
I assume you did not rely on any solar this time, engine charging when driving, right?

Just started looking at used I3 for town running around, not long trips, have gas car for that.
You obviously like it, think 60A ok with RX for this?  Or go bigger? Any issues?
Be nice if towable!  I assume not?
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #9
Hi, Mike.

I know this post is a bit old, but I'm hoping you can answer some questions about the heater.

I looked the heater up and it looks to be 120V. Are you running this off of your inverter then? If so, is your inverter always on?

Also, can you please elaborate on how this keeps the water lines from freezing?

Thanks!

Reply #10
Here is my I3, 2018, no range extender.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit