"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Engine Exercise in winter (Read 1494 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Exercise in winter

Winterized and closed for winter. Trickle charger on engine battery. 30A plug at home. Checking tire pressures.

What should I be doing to exercise the engine? I’ve read it’s not that good of an idea to start the engine regularly without driving around.

Should I unplug and drive it around? Won’t be traveling anywhere till March.
"Do it right, or don't do it"

Re: Engine Exercise in winter

Reply #1
If it is a newer unit that has the emission control devices/exhaust, long idle time is not recommended. Diesel engines today like to be run under load to stay happy!!  Having a battery maintainer to keep the batteries charged is good. I also would not recommend adding any type of winter fuel additive unless it is approved by the vehicle manufacturer. That additive can have a negative effect on the emission control devices, a costly repair.
Living in New England we have the same concerns as we try and leave in March to head somewhere warm. Ideally, I would like to build a garage to keep the coach in.

Happy Travels
Charlie

Middle Haddam, CT
2019 Wonder FTB

Re: Engine Exercise in winter

Reply #2
Change your oil and park it for the winter to flush out the acids etc. so that the bearings don't get eaten up. Don't start it unless you are going to use it as that will create acids etc. that will damage the bearings
3 Class A's from Triple E now Downsizing to a 2020 Wonder RTB