"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Rear tire valve extenders (Read 3644 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear tire valve extenders

I can't believe that LTV delivers their vans with dual rear wheels with no valve extenders. One must remove the outer wheel to check the tire pressure or to inflate the tire. What is the rational here?-- let the customer deal with it??  Any suggestions as to the best extenders to buy?

Re: Rear tire valve extenders

Reply #1
I wouldn't install extenders.  Instead, find someplace that does single-piece metal valves.  This way, you don't have an additional interface that could leak (especially important if you use TPMS sensors - the threads at the valve stem/extender interface can fracture under the forces at road speed with a TPMS sensor attached).

We have dual Alcoas on our 2017 Unity.  They came with extenders on the inner duals.  We had them (and the stems on the outer duals) replaced with Borg one-piece stems.  Having this done was a bit of a challenge as the installer didn't read the instructions (you have to bend the inner dual stem in order for it to be centered in the outer dual's opening so the Borg rubber grommet can support it; the installer didn't do this and claimed the grommets didn't fit - we adjusted them ourselves).
2017 Unity CB

Reply #2
Dealer is in the process of installing extenders on my Wonder. Made it a condition of sale. This was a "what were the thinking" on LTV's part IMHO.

Reply #3
Dealer is in the process of installing extenders on my Wonder. Made it a condition of sale. This was a "what were the thinking" on LTV's part IMHO.

Keep in mind you shouldn't use a TPMS with extenders (see my post above).  Not an issue if the Wonder has one built in from Ford, though (does it?)
2017 Unity CB

Reply #4
MKC - thanks for the tip re new stems. I had them installed and now all is well.

Reply #5
Inner dual tire pressures can be checked, without extenders, if you use a long dual foot gauge.  What truckers use.  Sometimes still a pain, depends how well the stem lines with with hand hole.

But if you install Tire Pressure Monitors you should not have to add air but maybe once a year.  And  the valve stems must be metal, not rubber.  So you might as well install solid long valve stems, not any kind of a screw on extender.  This will require removing tires from the wheels.  Also need the right shop that knows about bending the stems to fit.  ASk them if familiar, many are not.
Good luck.
Harry
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Update on this....just visited with friends that have a new Unity. Easily accessible inflation extenders that can be easily checked and easily inflated installed at the factory! Good they're listening.

On a less happy note...just had mobile tire service over to deal with a leaking extender dealer had installed...arrgh!

Reply #7
The dreaded extenders!  Think, Solid Valve Stems, only.

I was able to install TPM on my stock short metal valve stems.
For the inside wheels I made a simple PVC pipe tool to be able to reach inside.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit