"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Almost buying a 2020 Front Twin Bed on gas Ford Transit platform - need feedback (Read 5156 times) previous topic - next topic

Almost buying a 2020 Front Twin Bed on gas Ford Transit platform - need feedback

Looks like I may be buying one of the first FTBs built on the same platform as the 2021 FTB Wonder, but it will be titled as a 2020 model. It has the same twin turbo eco platform (gas) as the 2021's.  I am told that the only difference is that the option to go with Lithium batteries was not available so it will come with the AGM batteries and 2000W Inverter as the upgrade.  Story is that the person who ordered this has backed away and I was just "lucky".  It has only been at the dealer's lot for a week.  What excites me is that I could have it in a week rather than waiting 14 months for a newer one. 

I would appreciate any observations, cautions, or addaboys....

Re: Almost buying a 2020 Front Twin Bed on gas Ford Transit platform - need feedback

Reply #1
We have a 2019 Wonder FTB and like the layout. The fit and finish I believe is great and had very little or minor repairs. We changed out both faucets in the galley to include pull out spray faucet and bathroom to have a faucet spot that is a little longer. I added hoods over both exhaust vents and disconnected rain auto shutoffs. I did not like the fan auto shutting off when taking a shower due to moisture didn't make any sense. The Ford chassis is a great choice handles smoothly, many places around to get service if needed

Good luck and happy travels!!

Charlie
Middle Haddam, CT
2019 Wonder FTB

Re: Almost buying a 2020 Front Twin Bed on gas Ford Transit platform - need feedback

Reply #2
Well, I'm going to be the devils advocate.  Where and how often will you be going in the next 6 to 12 months?  No vaccine yet.  I'm not sold on lithiums due to issues using/charging in cold weather so why wait for that?  All you'd really gain with 2 lithiums is to be able to run the microwave off the batteries for heating a couple things - no convection oven. AC won't run long enough to be worthwhile IF it is even wired to run off the batteries.  From what I understand the new gas engine is NEW.  I'm sure there will be bugs to work out.

There is depreciation of the RV over the next year and the potential gain if you keep the money for 14 months.  And is the FTB layout the one you would order?

I guess you've thought about all of this but now it is in writing :)

Reply #3
You can run your AC from Lithiums, not from 200 amps but certainly from 800 amps, with some other upgrades.
You can run your microwave from your current 200 amps of AGM, not for very long but enough to heat up things.  You don’t need Lithiums for that.  The 2000 watt inverter allows you to do that, not the battery type.
Sure, you get almost double the amps from Lithiums over AGM.
Should not charge Lithiums below 25F, but now you can get them with heaters.  The LTV is not built for winter use, will you really be out then?
Lot of people are traveling, try to get cg reservations!
That Ford gas engines has been around for many years, no concerns.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Looks like I may be buying one of the first FTBs built on the same platform as the 2021 FTB Wonder, but it will be titled as a 2020 model. It has the same twin turbo eco platform (gas) as the 2021's.  I am told that the only difference is that the option to go with Lithium batteries was not available so it will come with the AGM batteries and 2000W Inverter as the upgrade.  Story is that the person who ordered this has backed away and I was just "lucky".  It has only been at the dealer's lot for a week.  What excites me is that I could have it in a week rather than waiting 14 months for a newer one. 

I would appreciate any observations, cautions, or addaboys....
You're one of the lucky ones, not having to wait any length of time.  I think you made a good choice, & if you commit, be sure to give us all feedback you can.  MPG, comfort, ease of driving etc.
We ordered from Van City a 2021 Wonder Rear Lounge with a production date of August 12th, if that holds & no delays, they tell me six weeks after for completion, so looking at delivery date of late September, early October.  Dean's video of the RL, he indicated about 12.5 MPG on a 200 to 300 mile test drive, but think that willl improve somewhat.
We currently own a 2013 Unity TB, but liked the new floor plan of the RL, we got all excited & ordered.  Fortunately Van City had two TB's on order for stock that they were able to switch to RL so we avoided the long wait as well. 
2021 LTV Wonder Rear Lounge - White Suede

2013 LTV Unity Twin Bed (Sold)

Reply #5
You're one of the lucky ones, not having to wait any length of time.  I think you made a good choice, & if you commit, be sure to give us all feedback you can.  MPG, comfort, ease of driving etc.
We ordered from Van City a 2021 Wonder Rear Lounge with a production date of August 12th, if that holds & no delays, they tell me six weeks after for completion, so looking at delivery date of late September, early October.  Dean's video of the RL, he indicated about 12.5 MPG on a 200 to 300 mile test drive, but think that willl improve somewhat.
We currently own a 2013 Unity TB, but liked the new floor plan of the RL, we got all excited & ordered.  Fortunately Van City had two TB's on order for stock that they were able to switch to RL so we avoided the long wait as well. 

Forgot to mention, we were able to order the Lithium Battery option (2).  Feel we need it as my wife & I both wear the CPap at night & need the additional amps.

Reply #6
(Responded to drbreiner's post as the others were not visible when I first opened up this thread today.  Will respond to the others below)

We are going Monday to do a walk-through and sign the paperwork if all looks well.  My own research so far has not  uncovered any reason for not going forward with this purchase.  I presume you have not read anything troublesome about the new Ford Chassis we are both getting? I am hopeful that this new Ford is an excellent idea.  LTV went to it because the latest iteration of the Ford Transit Diesel was just not up to their standards (too small).  LTV and us may find this change a "wonderful" spot of luck.  No worries about getting the right diesel fuel, DEF, higher maintenance costs, ease of repair and all the other thoughts I have had to justify this change.

I do fully expect a lower fuel mileage.  I am willing to guess that on the highway, it will be around 14 MPG and around 10-11 for city.  Your thoughts? 

Reply #7
(for HDTVLUVR) Our primary reason for getting the RV is to visit family.  The thought of using rest areas, fast food restaurants, and other risky options is what we do not want to expose ourselves to.  Outside of the summer (fall and spring) we would like to go visit places and stay at campgrounds so summer volume issues hopefully will not be a concern for us.  Based on the trip schedule, we will put about 4,000 miles going to see family each year.  On top of that we expect another 2,000-3,000 miles having fun. 

As far as the "investment side" of a major purchase like this, there is another side to what may happen in the future.  One scenario postulates hyper inflation which means having hard assets may be a good thing.  I spent my career in healthcare and still have input into modeling various "topical" scenarios, and based on what I see, there are possible upsides to owning a small motor home like the Wonder that may not be obvious today ... but of course that upside may never happen if a real cure is developed. I will not cry if that is the case.

Reply #8
You can run your AC from Lithiums, not from 200 amps but certainly from 800 amps, with some other upgrades.
You can run your microwave from your current 200 amps of AGM, not for very long but enough to heat up things.  You don’t need Lithiums for that.  The 2000 watt inverter allows you to do that, not the battery type.
Sure, you get almost double the amps from Lithiums over AGM.
Should not charge Lithiums below 25F, but now you can get them with heaters.  The LTV is not built for winter use, will you really be out then?
Lot of people are traveling, try to get cg reservations!
That Ford gas engines has been around for many years, no concerns.
For what we plan to use the Wonder for, your response makes me believe that the included battery option and the 400 solar upgrade may more than suit our needs.  Also, thank you for being hopeful on the new Ford platform.

Reply #9
We have a 2019 Wonder FTB and like the layout. The fit and finish I believe is great and had very little or minor repairs. We changed out both faucets in the galley to include pull out spray faucet and bathroom to have a faucet spot that is a little longer. I added hoods over both exhaust vents and disconnected rain auto shutoffs. I did not like the fan auto shutting off when taking a shower due to moisture didn't make any sense. The Ford chassis is a great choice handles smoothly, many places around to get service if needed

Good luck and happy travels!!

Charlie

I saw the 2019 FTB model at an RV show and liked it very much.  What sold me on that floor plan was the larger shower.

Speaking of showering, all of you can thank me for the Truma being in LTV products as I was the third retail purchaser of a Truma in the US and was talking with the LTV folks about how much we liked it while looking at LTV products way back then.  I then introduced them to the Germans ....  It exceeded our expectations.

Reply #10
(Responded to drbreiner's post as the others were not visible when I first opened up this thread today.  Will respond to the others below)

We are going Monday to do a walk-through and sign the paperwork if all looks well.  My own research so far has not  uncovered any reason for not going forward with this purchase.  I presume you have not read anything troublesome about the new Ford Chassis we are both getting? I am hopeful that this new Ford is an excellent idea.  LTV went to it because the latest iteration of the Ford Transit Diesel was just not up to their standards (too small).  LTV and us may find this change a "wonderful" spot of luck.  No worries about getting the right diesel fuel, DEF, higher maintenance costs, ease of repair and all the other thoughts I have had to justify this change.

I do fully expect a lower fuel mileage.  I am willing to guess that on the highway, it will be around 14 MPG and around 10-11 for city.  Your thoughts? 

This will be our first experience with the Truma Hot Water Heater, looking forward to instant hot water.  We have the 6 Gal Suburban in our Unity TB which has served us well over the years.  I do hope LTV holds our scheduled date of August 12th & six weeks completion after.  With LTV having supply problems with Mercedes, that will help us people ordering the Wonder/Gas I would think.
Hopefully Ford can handle all the request for the Ford Transit with no delays & other supply chains as well.
We ordered ours with the Lithium Batteries & only concern is cold weather.  In storage would that be a problem?  We do inside storage normally November thru mid Feb when we spend a month in Florida.  It does have a heated box I understand, but that would only work while driving or charging.
It will be good to not worry about Def Fluid, finding #2 Diesel, as opposed to BioDiesel.
I think the Ford Engine will do fine from what I have read about it.  Ten speed transmission, & all kinds of added goodies.  Tell us how your walk thru went & trip home.  All reports are handling is excellent.  Good luck!

Reply #11
Are we aware of anyone that has already received the Wonder on the new platform.  Not sure I want to be the first ...

Reply #12
No LTV deliveries of the new Ford chassis, that I am aware of, but other brands have delivered.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #13
LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE THE FIRST..... :}

Reply #14
Called LTV.  They said that mine was the 30th to be built but could be the first in the hands of an owner.  I will keep them in the loop along with all of you if we close on the unit. 

Reply #15

So I've been in contact w/ several dealers,  including Van City.  I'm hearing "8 months for delivery if you order now".  Clearly your experience is a LOT shorter than 8 months.  I believe that 8 month story is what they typically quote to make you jump on what they already have in stock or allocated,  or if you insist on ordering ... order now rather than later.

Anyone else w/ a perspective on this?

Also,  I'm not finding any AWD ,  and on one of the videos he said it's because Ford was closed for a while due to the virus.  So more AWD should be coming soon.  Any other views?

Reply #16
I was told by LTV that the Wonder now has lead times of 14 months.  That is the reason I jumped on this one.  But that could just be for the market I am in.  I have no reason to doubt the feedback you are getting from Van City.

Reply #17
So I've been in contact w/ several dealers,  including Van City.  I'm hearing "8 months for delivery if you order now".  Clearly your experience is a LOT shorter than 8 months.  I believe that 8 month story is what they typically quote to make you jump on what they already have in stock or allocated,  or if you insist on ordering ... order now rather than later.

Just received our confirmation yesterday from LTV on our unit, changed from a TB to RL.  I notice the dealer ordered it back in August 2019, so a year later August 12th is scheduled production date.  Anxiously awaiting & hoping no delays.

Anyone else w/ a perspective on this?

Also,  I'm not finding any AWD ,  and on one of the videos he said it's because Ford was closed for a while due to the virus.  So more AWD should be coming soon.  Any other views?

Reply #18
Ok, I have found out who actually has the first one.  No surprise:

RV Lifestyle | The RV Travel Blog

They are going to have a live youtube cast tomorrow evening.  Hopefully, I can get some questions in. 

Reply #19

Well, we are all anxiously awaiting if you signed on the dotted line - If you did, tell us about your new adventure & your thoughts.

Reply #20
I have been able to confirm that the 2020 Ford Transit is the second generation version.  There is a 3rd generation that is only currently available on the F-150.  So, all of the ones we will get will be the second generation for now.  Yes, I did tell the dealer I will buy it.  Now looking to be adopted by someone here .... lol

Reply #21
By the way, if I remembered correctly, the OCCC weight on this unit was a little over 2000 pounds.  Does that sound right?

Reply #22
Are we aware of anyone that has already received the Wonder on the new platform.  Not sure I want to be the first ...
We got ours on the 9th of July RTB
3 Class A's from Triple E now Downsizing to a 2020 Wonder RTB

Reply #23
You will love it. Good power - acceleration and hill climbing. Comfortable seats. Lacking - only 2 seatbelts and provision for 2 sleepers. Extra seatbelts require safety tests and a place to anchor them. Too bad relatives.
3 Class A's from Triple E now Downsizing to a 2020 Wonder RTB

Reply #24
We got ours on the 9th of July RTB

Can you post the OCCC number from your rig?  Will be on the driver's side door frame!

Anybody else feel free to post yours as well.  Along with your fuel economy.  Lots of us out here dying to hear about  your new rigs!
Thanks,

Klipstr
Rio Verde and Show Low AZ
Living the Dream!