"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Molded Door Armrest Unusable (Read 1650 times) previous topic - next topic

Molded Door Armrest Unusable

Has anyone figured out how to make the molded door armrests comfortable? I have a raw sore on my left arm after a few days driving in short sleeve shirt.  The door plastic could be used as sandpaper.  It's a 2019 CB model, but I suspect this is a Mercedes issue present in all vans.  I'm going to hack some sort of fix, but wondered if anyone else has solved the problem.

Re: Molded Door Armrest Unusable

Reply #1
Hi. Same problem. I saw earlier someone had wrapped a foam pad in a soft material and attached it over the 'hard' surface. I am going to do the same. Adhesive velcro pads should allow it to be cleaned as needed and also update it if it needs 'adjusting'.

Reply #2
I was able to solve this untenable problem by the use of closed cell neoprene padding.  I cut out mirror-image pieces from a retired neoprene sleeping pad that had a smooth fabric finish on one side.  I custom cut the pieces to a shape that fit nicely on the armest.  The neoprene attached securely using VHB tape and I have been very comfortable ever since.

Reply #3
Did the same covered mine with a grey sock and secured it to the door with hook and loop Command strips  Works for me

Reply #4
I had an office chair with cushioned piece on a metal lower part that had a vinyl covering.  The shape worked so you can tuck it in at the front so just use that when on the road and it stores well on the left side of the dash so handy to get at.

Reply #5
Maybe it is due to body size or preferred seating position, but I've never had any issue with the door armrest (2019 chassis). I don't even recall ever using it to rest my arm. I learned my driving stance and seating position driving sport cars for 50+ years. So maybe I drive more with my arms slightly flexed and not resting my elbow. I've often driven 8-hr days in the RV and never even thought about it being uncomfortable. On the other hand, I hated the flop-able inside armrest since it always seemed to be in the way if I was in a hurry - especially in an emergency. So I removed it and came up with a plug to cover the hole in the side bolster.

My only complaint with  the Sprinter door panel is the location of the electronic seat controls. Two issues:
-1.  While driving, I sometimes hit the buttons with my left knee and suddenly the seat starts moving backward. First time that happened I was making a left turn and thought there was some gremlin in the wiring. I even had the Mercedes dealer check the controls. Next time it happened, I realized it was me accidentally hitting the button. So I feel it should be positioned higher - maybe above the armrest.
-2.  When camping - and reversing the captain's chairs for lounge seating, it is very difficult to reach the electronic adjustments for a comfortable lounge seating configuration. I end up having to exit through the RV door and walk around to the cab and open each door to make minor adjustments. Again, putting the controls higher might make it possible to do while remaining seated. I can't blame Mercedes for this - the van wasn't designed with this in mind. I wish there was an after-market (wired or bluetooth) remote control.
Flat Rock, NC