"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: TPMS (Read 1898 times) previous topic - next topic

TPMS

Hello. I just bought a used Unity and joined this forum. I also have ordered a B-Qtech Wireless Solar Power TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System. If anyone has one can you tell me if I have to completely remove the system in order to use a standard pressure gauge or compressor, or just take off the sensor? I haven't received it yet so maybe the answer will be self-evident. But if anyone knows the answer and wants to share it that would be great. I've written to the manufacturer in Asia but not received a reply yet. Thank you.

Re: TPMS

Reply #1
Some sensors are flow thru, some are not, depends on what you ordered. 
Not familiar with your system.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #2
If they are NOT flow-through,  you still only have to take off the cap/sensor right?  Like unscrewing the cap on your stem.  No big deal.

Reply #3
Yes, remove the sensor to add air.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Just wondering how the TPMS system is working for you as it has great reviews, no cord and is priced right (about $150)?
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Reply #5
There are a couple others on Amazon that look to be literal clones to this. Some are cheaper and one more ($150). I see one for about $90 that does not include the repeater.  Blueskysea Wireless TPMS Solar Power Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Actually, now that I'm looking harder, I see several that MANY don't appear to include repeaters. They are about $20 cheaper.
I'm wondering if a repeater is even necessary on a 25 ft rig. Anyone have success?
Since I'm about to pull the trigger, I'm thinking it might be better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. :(
Flat Rock, NC

Reply #6
If you are talking common TPMS that have been around for years, no repeater required.
Off brand whi do you ask?
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #7
If you are talking common TPMS that have been around for years, no repeater required.
Off brand whi do you ask?
I ask because I want to know in real-time my tire pressure/temps.  I've seen no TPMS reference in the Mercedes 3500 Sprint chassis manual that it is equipped with TPMS. I have found it in some online 3500 Sprinter Van documents, but apparently not in the cutaway chassis. The last I heard the current safety standard "requires the installation of tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMSs) that warn the driver when a tire is significantly under-inflated. The standard applies to passenger cars, trucks, multipurpose passenger vehicles, and buses with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less, except those vehicles with dual wheels on
an axle."

So  it looks like Mercedes didn't include TPMS. Do you know differently? I couldn't find reference to "TPMS" or "tire pressure monitor" in the Unity manual (pdf).

The aftermarket add-ons sense through to the Schrader valve. They sometimes don't have a good signal from the rear tires up to the cab. It would depend on the materials and equipment between the xmitters and receiver. So some aftermarket kits come with a repeater to be mounted toward the rear of the vehicle. That's the basis of my question.
Flat Rock, NC

Reply #8
I have used Tire Tracker TPMS for many years, on rvs from 25’ to 39’, I  have never needed a repeater.
I think in the last 50,000 miles I have received 1 or 2 false signals, which has not been a concern.
It gives me each tire pressure & temperature, by position.  I believe the built in car TPMS will only give low pressure warning, not the actual pressure or the wheel position,  it’s up to you to find the offending wheel.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit