"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: No Power to Television (Read 1842 times) previous topic - next topic

No Power to Television

The outlet that the television plugs in has no power. There was a extension cord in the little compartment next to the TV. thinking that this would be a good place for my coffee maker next to the TV, I placed it there and plugged it in to the cord. I turned it on and set the clock. In the morning I filled it with water and coffee and pushed the start button, the display went away. I ended up putting the coffee pot on the sink counter and plugging it in there. Later I found that the television did not work. After checking all the circuit breakers I followed the cord from the TV. to where it pugged in. Sure enough, the extension cord I had pugged the coffiee maker in was plugged in to the same outlet. I tested the outlet with my multimeter and it registered 5.0 volts. I took off the cover to the to the power converter and circuit breakers and fuses. number 4 circuit breaker was listed as entertainment as was the outlet. Multimeter showed 120 volts coming out of the breaker . Now after spending a couple of hours, I give up and I am looking for help. The one thing I do not understand is there are two 3 strand wires going in to the plug and I do not know where the second one comes from or why there are two. I was going to pull out the whole thing in an attempt to trace both wires but I decided to see if anyone would have an answer to help me.   

Re: No Power to Television

Reply #1
You need to reset the inverter.  It is a small black "switch" on the side of the inverter.  Press it in.  #5 & 6 in the attached image.

Reply #2
Thank you but that is not the inverter I have. I have the WFCO WF-8955PEC Power Convert or with Distribution Panel. But you gave me an idea. I will look up the book for the panel and see if that will help. I had no idea that the inverter had anything to do with it.

Reply #3
Yes, the TV outlet is on the inverter so depending on your model year, you could have a 800w, 1000w, 1200w.  I doubt you have a 2000w but any lower wattage inverter will trip with a coffeemaker.

Reply #4
It is a 950W power panel with converter. My unit is a 2015 Unity MB

Reply #5
That unit seems to convert 110v coming into the RV to DC to power 12v DC items.  An inverter takes 12v power from your RV house batteries (not the chassis battery) and changes it to 110 volts.  The TV and some other outlets should be powered through this inverter.  However, if the RV is plugged into shore power, the 110v AC shore power is still routed through the inverter but the inverter is fused with a circuit breaker which protects it from pulling too much current whether on shore power or inverted 110v from the batteries.  Don't you have batteries to run your RV when you aren't plugged in?  If so, you have an inverter too.  This is a separate item usually in an outside bay close to the RC coach (not chassis) battery.  Converter and inverter is 2 separate things.

Reply #6
Well, the inverter appears not to be in an outside bin.  According to this thread, it is located behind the pull-out drawers in the bathroom.  Push black tabs on drawer slide (each side of drawer) to remove the drawer.

2015 Unity MB Inverter location thread

Reply #7
Thanks to all but it looks like I need to explain my unit better. It is a 2015 Unity Murphy Bed Model. The Television is mounted across from the bed in a cabinet. It pops up when pushing a release and it can be pushed back down. The Power Converter is mounted in the same cabinet to the right close to the floor. I do have batteries for the unity and also a generator, the outlet for the television does not  power by just batteries (shore power not connected), generator running or by shore power.  I will look for the inverter in one of the outside compartments. 

Reply #8
According to the thread posted just above yours, the inverter is located behind the pull-out drawers in the bathroom.

I have a Wonder Murphy Bed and my inverter is in an outside compartment which is why I figured yours was too.  But it isn't according to the thread in the link I posted above.

Reply #9
I want to thank everyone four your help. I learned a lot from this. I guess for a 76 year old, that is a major accomplishment. I did find the inverter and yes it was behind the bottom drawer in the bath room. Turned it on and instant success. A big  Thumbs up to all of you.

THANK YOU

Reply #10
You're very welcome.  Have a great rest of your day!