"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Suburban nt 12 s furnace. (Read 2596 times) previous topic - next topic

Suburban nt 12 s furnace.

Hi! i have a 95 LTW, and the furnace just died. I've had it looked at by a couple different techs, replaced the sail switch and the limiter, and cleaned it. It only ignites if I take the cover off, and works fine until it needs to light again. I guess my real question is, what do you replace it with?? It looks like they stopped making it.
TIY

Re: Suburban nt 12 s furnace.

Reply #1
You may want to ask LTV they might have a replacement option. Regarding having the cover plate off and it work but you put back on and it does not. To me that seems like a lack of air getting to the unit. You may want to see if a next in any exhaust or intake lines. See if any inlet vents also that have screens. Worst case leave the cover off until you get a replacement and maybe something will blow loose when driving. 6 years is not old for that unit to wear out. Wish I was closer I would come help. Sound like a interesting fix.
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Reply #2
Thank for the reply, Todd. I've put in a call and emails, just waiting to hear back from Suburban. The unit works when I put the cover on, it just won't re-light. We've checked and the air intake system is all clear. I'm thinking the next step will be a new fan motor and combustion fan. Sound like I'm on the right rack?? I should have it completely rebuilt pretty soon at this rate. ;)
PS- it's a '95.

Reply #3
With it being a 95 I would stop and put a new one in. You fix the current one and how long till the next time it goes out when you really need it??  I could think of several more things to try but is it really worth it? Put a cell phone in and see when the light goes out after you put the cover on. Is there  switch for the cover plate and you can push to pretend like you are putting the cover on and see what it does?  Maybe a new orifice on the pilot light?
Todd W
"LTVnIT" on YouTube

Reply #4
It doesn't go out after the cover goes on. It just won't light, unless I have the cover off. It's not getting enough air to light, but once it's lit, it's fine.

Reply #5
Insects in the air intake?

Reply #6
I ended up buying a new one, it was the best move for me. Thanks for the input.