"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Rear view camera question (Read 3970 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear view camera question

I was wondering if anyone uses a rear view camera. I know it's at least a year away to receive our Unity but I like to plan ahead. I have a Voyager rear view camera on my Airstream. It works great. Does anyone have any other suggestions on rear view cameras. I would appreciate any input.

Hobie

Re: Rear view camera question

Reply #1
I was wondering if anyone uses a rear view camera. I know it's at least a year away to receive our Unity but I like to plan ahead. I have a Voyager rear view camera on my Airstream. It works great. Does anyone have any other suggestions on rear view cameras. I would appreciate any input.

All LTV's have Rear View Cameras.  We had a 2013 Unity TB which we sold last year, & now own a 2021 Wonder LTV RL.  The one thing I am disappointed with our RV Camera is that it does not show the guide lines while backing up.  Having local Ford Dealership check this out & have a next Friday appointment. 
Hobie
2021 LTV Wonder Rear Lounge - White Suede

2013 LTV Unity Twin Bed (Sold)

Reply #2
I am working on a rearview camera in place of the standard rearview camera which shows the sink. SO far the installer broke the windshield trying to get the ford mount off the glass. It should be easy to install a proper windshield mount that the new rearview mirror will mount to. It will be aimed down the road like a rearview mirror and will be on all the time.
3 Class A's from Triple E now Downsizing to a 2020 Wonder RTB

Reply #3
I have a 2021 Wonder RL as well and I find the back up camera very ltd. compared to one in car. Not having guide lines makes knowing your width difficult to determine. Haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

Reply #4
The 2019 Wonder has guide lines. 
Have you read all the info on it?  Maybe just need to program them in.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Speaking of rear view cameras... we are thinking of purchasing an "always on" rear view camera so we can monitor what is behind us while driving, not just when backing up.  Any suggestions for an "always on" rear view camera?

Reply #6
Speaking of rear view cameras... we are thinking of purchasing an "always on" rear view camera so we can monitor what is behind us while driving, not just when backing up.  Any suggestions for an "always on" rear view camera?
I just installed a VanTop H612T  Amazon.com: VanTop H612T 12” 4K Mirror Dash Cam for Cars, Voice Control Full...

The picture is very sharp. I set it to capture/display 4K resolution front and rear. I always have it displaying the rear camera but it is nice that the front acts like a dashcam and records in parallel. It is packed with extra features like GPS time/date stamping and even location. Also Voice control. So far I like it except it is a little hard to view during bright daylight. And it seems picky about microSD cards. I bought the Sandisk one listed with the camera on Amazon, but it gave me errors. So I ordered a 64MB Samsung card which will arrive today. Vantop has a 30-day no-questions return policy, so I'll have time to decide if the mirror/camera  meets my requirements. It is 100% better than nothing and it is almost better than having a real mirror looking out the back full-time. Be sure to buy the 10' cable extension, which was perfect for my installation height above the license plate.
Flat Rock, NC

Reply #8
I ordered a 64MB Samsung card which will arrive today.
I popped in the Samsung 64 GB microSD last night and it is working flawlessly. This unit (VanTop H612T) has a 12" mirror/screen which crops the HD image. However, a neat feature is you can pan the image up/down using the touch-screen. So you can easily see the ground close to your bumper then pan up and get a wide-angled view of traffic behind you. I found see this feature by watching several youtube reviews.
I still think the video image is a tad too dark during bright daylight. I'm guessing it might be due to an ambient light sensor in the mirror housing which is shaded because I mounted the mirror to the electronics hump at top-center of the windshield (VS30).  Maybe if it was in a less shadded location the auto brightness would be more accurate.
Flat Rock, NC