"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Anyone replace Unity entry door hinges with friction hinges? (Read 1722 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone replace Unity entry door hinges with friction hinges?

We've had three entry / coach door pistons broken on our 2014 Unity by wind blowing the door all the way open, slamming it against the coach body. Instead of buying another replacement piston, I'd like to re-engineer and solve the problem.

Has anyone had some of the door hinges replaced with friction hinges like these from Lippert?
tinyurl.com/yhzhj3s7

Thanks.

Re: Anyone replace Unity entry door hinges with friction hinges?

Reply #1
We've had three entry / coach door pistons broken on our 2014 Unity by wind blowing the door all the way open, slamming it against the coach body. Instead of buying another replacement piston, I'd like to re-engineer and solve the problem.

Has anyone had some of the door hinges replaced with friction hinges like these from Lippert?
tinyurl.com/yhzhj3s7

Thanks.

If you try them I would be curious how they work. With us the wind flirts with making the piston fail, but the only time it did was our 110 lbs dog jumping up after a squirrel. The door hit the coach and the window shattered. Replaced the window and piston and it works well, but there should be something better.

Reply #2

tinyurl.com/yhzhj3s7

Thanks.

I bought some 1" Nylon Fabric & placed it on the inside door handle forming a loop to your satisfaction & used two nuts & taps to secure.  Gives you something to grab & hold onto in case of wind trying to grab the door.
2021 LTV Wonder Rear Lounge - White Suede

2013 LTV Unity Twin Bed (Sold)

Reply #3
Just add a full width screen door handle, from Camcorder.
Our coach is over 2 years old, no broken gas struts yet!
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit