"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: shore power connection trips GFI (Read 3005 times) previous topic - next topic

shore power connection trips GFI

I have a 2016 LTV Unity, which I purchased a few weeks ago.  When I connect shore power to a GFI outlet, the GFI breaker trips immediately.  Any idea what might cause this?
2016 Unity TB

Re: shore power connection trips GFI

Reply #1
HI
if you are still looking at this - You do not connect shore power to a  GFI outlet anywhere in or outside the coach.  There is one plug where the power goes in.  If you use the big cable that has a twist on end and connect to the coach where there is a chrome flip up cover it goes in a 30A circuit.  If you need to connect to a 15A power from shore you need a 30A to 15A adapter to make that connection.

Reply #2
HI
if you are still looking at this - You do not connect shore power to a  GFI outlet anywhere in or outside the coach.  There is one plug where the power goes in.  If you use the big cable that has a twist on end and connect to the coach where there is a chrome flip up cover it goes in a 30A circuit.  If you need to connect to a 15A power from shore you need a 30A to 15A adapter to make that connection.
I was plugging in the coach 30A shore power to a 15A GFI outlet at my home, and it tripped the GFI circuit on the house outlet.  It also tripped the 15A GFI outlet on an external generator.

The problem was a burned out transfer switch in the LTV, since repaired, and I can connect shore power to a household GFI outlet now.
2016 Unity TB

Reply #3
Your reply makes the issue clearer than your original question did.  Glad you solved it and also that you explained the fix.

Reply #4
Hi can I  ask where you located the transfer switch?
Sheila M. Groves
2017 Unity MB