"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Tow Vehicle? (Read 4947 times) previous topic - next topic

Tow Vehicle?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 4-wheels down tow vehicle?  Have just ordered LTV Island Bed and would like to know what others are towing.  Thanks in advance for your responses!

Re: Tow Vehicle?

Reply #1
There are lots and you probably want to choose a vehicle you like based on all its features in addition to “is it towable?”  So go to the dinghy guide here  Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine and choose the vehicle you like.  Lighter is better. 
Gary
08 Libero CB
Delta, BC

Reply #2
For longer trips where a toad works best, we tow a 2014 Honda CR-V.  That's the last year the CR-V was towable 4-down (2015 and newer have a CVT transmission so they can't be towed).

We do notice a little less fuel economy with it in tow, but it isn't much.  Very important to have a braking system on the toad, too.  We use an SMI Stay n' Play Duo.
2017 Unity CB

Reply #3
I also have a 2018 Unity IB and have spent hours researching which vehicle to flat tow including reading the aforementioned MH Dinghy Guide. The conclusion I came to for ease of towing is the Kia Soul, or Fiat, manual transmission. The problem I am facing is I want to go with the Kia Soul but can't get manufacturer approval, and it doesn't speak to it in the owners manual. The Fiat owners manual does speak to it but it's sketchy. The bottom line is I don't want to negate the car warranty. Ideas please, please, please?

Reply #4
I tow the Jeep Wrangler, 2018 JK Model, I chose it for ease of towing, very little set up to tow, the 4 door is a little heavy at 5000 lbs but if the 2 door is big enough it is a better option.
Rick & Colleen Pitts
2018 Unity 24TB
2018 Jeep Wrangler TOAD

Reply #5
I did lots of research and bought a 2017 Honda Fit, manual transmission, rear sets fold down so extra storage pulled behind 24MB.
Bob & Iris
2017 Unity 24MB

Reply #6
Honda Fit is a good choice, in manual or I think upto 2014 in automatic.
It does sit low to the ground, so Soul would be easier in/out.  I see a lot of manuals being towed.
Harry
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #7
We have two toads, a 72 VW Beetle Convertible and a 2017 smart Cabrio.  The bug & smart are just under 2000 lbs, easy to tow behind the Unity. The Bug gets lots of attention but the smart has modern conveniences.  On the 2016 and newer smarts only the Gas engine with the DCT automatic is towable four down.

Reply #8
Thanks all for your comments.  We have settled on a 2 door Chevy Tracker, automatic with 4X4. The rag top down adds a huge fun factor for us.