"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: freeze protection on sewer macerator and dump valves (Read 3074 times) previous topic - next topic

freeze protection on sewer macerator and dump valves

Has anyone come up with a way to freeze protect the macerator and dump valves for use in cold weather?

Re: freeze protection on sewer macerator and dump valves

Reply #1
just spent 4 days running from cold weather with our new 2020 unity 24MB.  Best solution I found was to put the sender for our remote thermometer in the water bay to moniter the the temp inside.  Everytime I wake up at night I take look to see how it is doing. If i get really worried I would turn the hot water on the outside shower on to a slow drip and stick the shower head over the port for the fresh water hose.  Believe it or not it helped warm the compartment as long as i had the truma on recirc.
I handled the macerator by dumping then putting rv antifreeze in the black and gray tanks them running the macerator till I got some pink stuff out. 
We got down to 30 deg and had no problem. Maybe it was overkill for no colder than it was but I didnt want to hurt my new baby.
good luck

Reply #2
I'm looking forward to seeing replies to your question.  I suppose electric heat tape is the obvious answer, but that wouldn't be helpful while traveling.  We want to add heaters to our holding tanks on our 24CB but our local RV repair shop says they don't recommend it because other exposed plumbing will still freeze. 

Reply #3
Just had a brain fart.  Anybody ever use a small space heater under their motorhome when the weather is below freezing to keep the pipes warm. 
Should work fine as long as you have shore power and its not terribly cold.

Let me know
 Hogan