"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Solar Install (Read 3380 times) previous topic - next topic

Solar Install

Our 2014 Unity TB did not come with any solar installed.  Does anyone have any experience adding solar, and would my rig possibly be wired for solar from the factory?

Thanks

Jerry
Tooblue

Re: Solar Install

Reply #1
Even if solar is installed from factory it is not the best.  My 2019 Wonder has factory installed  400 watts solar system but it can use lot of improvements.  For occasional solar it is ok, but for  the serious booddockers they need a much better system.
Just start from scratch, if you are handy it is not difficult just get good advice before you start.
If “factory ready” start over!
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #2
These are the guys to contact about solar on an RV ... RV Solar Panel Kits & Camping Solar Panels, Batteries & Chargers: AM ...

Its not just the panels and charge controllers but the batteries as well.  We only have the factory solar and it works fine to keep the batteries topped off for lite dry camping.  We also changed the batteries to AGM's

Reply #3
Was there a specific reason for moving to AGM batteries?  Mine has 2 six volt batteries...
Tooblue

Reply #4
Thanks for the advise on the Solar... Start fresh with folks who are in that business... understand!
Tooblue

Reply #5
Was there a specific reason for moving to AGM batteries?  Mine has 2 six volt batteries...
Not to start a battery war :D  there are several types of batteries we can use including Lead acid, AGM, Gel, Lithium.

For me part of the reason was the maintenance free aspect.  Not having to open the step (in our unity the house batteries are under the entry step), and then slide the batteries out to check water level.  Plus you should then carry around some distilled water to top them off when needed.  You should not use regular tap water as it contains minerals that can be harmful to batteries, even if added in small amounts.

The next part is that AGM batteries resist vibration and can handle higher charge/discharge rates than the stock batteries.  Of course they are more expensive than the standard deep cycle golf cart batteries but you can shop around and find some good pricing.  Importantly they FIT in the small space under that step.

Reply #6
Thanks for the information and suggestions on AGM's.  Sounds like that would be a better alternative than lead acid...
Tooblue

Reply #7
On the FMCA website, in the latest magazine (April 2019), there is an informative article on lithium battery replacements for flooded or AGM batteries. The same article also has information on solar panels, charge controllers and the efficient utilization of solar power.
AGM batteries are maintenance free and more importantly, gas much less. They are permitted to be stored in unvented locations. Standard flooded cell, golf cart style batteries can gas a lot. They are, in effect, located inside the coach, i.e., can put fumes within your respiratory intake region. This occurs at a greater rate near the flooded cell battery's end of life. It can also occur with inadequately controlled solar current.
I think utilization of the PowerPulse module reduces lead plate sulfasion, decreases electrolyte usage and extends battery life.
So, your solar system would be of greater benefit if you considered proper selection of all the components.

Reply #8
Thanks for all the information... and suggestions...
Tooblue