"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Skid Wheels (Read 3315 times) previous topic - next topic

Skid Wheels

Has anyone added skid wheels to their vans?  I have knocked off my sewer line cap several times and it was suggested that I install skid wheels in the back.  I am trying to find out what brand would work best on our Wonder.  Thanks.

Re: Skid Wheels

Reply #1
I'm very interested in this too.  The wonder doesn't have a hitch bar across the back like Unitys so bolting anything far apart to catch the edges of the coach isn't doable without adding an additional bar somehow.

I'm interested in these - Roller Skids #10-4200 made by Paktron.  #10-4200
I wonder if they can be bolted to our current skid bars?  Looks like it could drop our skid plate 3 1/2 inches.  Not sure if that is too low.  I sent paktron an email asking for more information and how I wanted to use them over 2 months ago.  No response which is exactly what others have said about getting email responses - non existent. 

Reply #2

We did add them to our Unity since we have the macerator. 

These are the ones we added Amazon.com: Paktron Products 10-4217 Rigid 2-1/2" Hitch Bar Skid Roller -...

The swivel ones hang lower, and we had read of issues with them basically being "sacrificial" and snapping at the swivel.  The fixed ones hang low enough to protect the macerator on a Unity.

2017 Unity CB

Reply #3
My Wonder came with skid brackets to prevent pavement scrapes.
I think they are bolted on, want a picture?  Maybe LTV can supply them.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #4
MKC..
The Wonder doesn't have the hitch bar for those to be mounted.

At certain angles, even with the skid bars on the Wonder, I think the edges can drag (sewer end/macerator).

That's why I've also been searching for a solution.

Reply #5
Paktron look at 2201 they it's for light trailers.

Reply #6
Those are plastic wheels made for lightweight trailers.  May not hold up through 1 use with the heavy Wonder.

Reply #7
Correct about the wheel it is plastic and would probably break. I talked to a mechanic yesterday and he said I would need a steel roller because of the unit weight. Will keep looking.  Going to Camping World today, will see if they have anything that meets our requirements.

Reply #8
Where are you planning on mounting the wheels?

Reply #9
No luck at Camping World.  They only had wheels that attached to the hitch.  I plan on attaching something to the current skid bars.  I measured from the ground to the bottom of the skid bar and it was 9 and 1/4 inches.  From the tip of my sewer pipe to the ground it was 8 and 3/4 inches.  I would like to extend my skid bars maybe 1 inch to 1 and 1/2 inches.  I think that may take care of the problem.

Reply #11
We also used the "ultra 2.5" solid wheels" on our unity, but as pointed out you need the hitch bar in order to mount them.  If I recall correctly we picked them up at camping world.

Those swivel wheels either snap off when hit or the urethane coating on the wheels breaks off, so I can't recommend those.

These 2.5 solid ones are JUST long enough to keep the macerator from hitting the ground.  I used a board to check the angle from the rear wheels to the skid wheel to make sure the macerator would clear.  Not a perfect way to measure, but wanted to give myself some level of confidence.  You may need to add some extra spacers/washers depending on how everything lines up on your rig.  If you can use these they are super easy to install.

Here are a couple of pics.

Reply #12
Just remove the macerator, if you are that concerned.  Put it back on when clear!
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #13
Any luck finding skid wheels for the skid bars?

Reply #14
You might turn the schackle bolts upsidown and attach the wheels to the bottom of the skids. Could work.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit