"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Window leaking (Read 3681 times) previous topic - next topic

Window leaking

Got awakened last night with water dripping.  Water  was from the shelf above the Murphy bed.  I have a Wonder but since all LTVs have windows thought I’d put the issue here. 

I couldn’t tell where the water was actually coming in except it had to be from the window.  Both pop out windows were closed. I’d say snug not gorilla tight. First time for this leak.  Had to put a towel on the shelf for the rest of the night and it was soaked this morning.

Has anyone dealt with a leaking window?  How did you find where the problem was and how did fix it?  If it is the seal how do you remove the window and what is the seal material?

Re: Window leaking

Reply #1
We have a 2019 Wonder FTB and not have experienced any leaks so far. We even camp with the windows open during hard rains and so far so good.

Maybe get up on the roof with a hose and have someone inside and see if you can tell where it could be coming from. Do you have rubber molding around that window?

Good luck...

Charlie
Middle Haddam, CT
2019 Wonder FTB

Reply #2
It’s a frameless window so no rubber molding around it. 

Reply #3
So far no leaks in our FTB, the other night in Bend, Or crazy lightning, thunder, hail, everything dry inside.
I guess I should have inspected the storage compartments.
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Got awakened last night with water dripping.  Water  was from the shelf above the Murphy bed.  I have a Wonder but since all LTVs have windows thought I’d put the issue here. 

I couldn’t tell where the water was actually coming in except it had to be from the window.  Both pop out windows were closed. I’d say snug not gorilla tight. First time for this leak.  Had to put a towel on the shelf for the rest of the night and it was soaked this morning.

Has anyone dealt with a leaking window?  How did you find where the problem was and how did fix it?  If it is the seal how do you remove the window and what is the seal material?

First you need to determine who made the window and how it was installed. Some use screws from the outside, and some use a clamping flange from the inside. If it is the latter, there will be screws that pull the window tight against the body. Check the tightness of all the screws. If it is of that design, there would be a  D-Channel rubber gasket between the window and frame. If it is of another design, and I would let a dealer resolve it if it in warranty.
Gerald Miller
WonderRTB 2020 (delivered Nov 2019)

Reply #5

Hi Rick, we have a 2019 Wonder MB and had the same thing happen. In our case we had been driving in rain and I think maybe window wasn't shut tight. Haven't had the problem again with that window but on our last rip we woke up after a rain storm and found water on the kitchen counter. I think its a "gorilla tight" thing.

Robert
Thanks in advance!
Robert

Reply #6
Thanks for the information.  We just got back from an extended trip and every time it rained water came in.  I ordered some  new gasket material from LTV and hope to remove the window and replace the gasket in the next few weeks.  There are a lot of screws in this very wide window.  Wondering what order/pattern should be used when tightening them.

Reply #7
Most likely the gasket if fine, you may just need to snug up the screws. But having replaced the gasket in three windows in my former Airstream Interstate, just snug them up, but not tight from each corner first, then work to the center, and then tighten them up firmly they same way. After doing so, get a water hose and spray the window thoroughly an check for leaks.
Gerald Miller
WonderRTB 2020 (delivered Nov 2019)

Reply #8
Screws are very tight already.  Looks like previous owner used pliers on 1 screw.  I didn't notice this until I really got to looking at the # of screws in the frame.  I haven't been able to start this project yet.  I'll post back when I do.

Reply #9
Forgot to update this as just fixed it last week.  The window had to come out.  At the top on the driver end, the window had dropped and you could press the gasket lightly and see dark which was the inside of the window hole.  Water was seeping in, pooling in the bottom of the opening and then draining out inside the RV.  When the window was out you could see the water trail due to the dirty streak it left behind.  Had help getting the window out and removed the gasket.  Actually adhesive backed weather strip.  What a mess.  Took a lot of scraping to get it off.  Applied new weather strip, inserted the window making sure it was in the correct place and covered the opening correctly.  I'm hoping it never leaks again.