"That's Very Smart"
Skip to main content

Topic: Induction Cooktop (Read 4304 times) previous topic - next topic

Induction Cooktop

I  am a newbie to RV'ing and my Wonder is arriving this April.  I've cooked on an induction cooktop and really liked it.  I think a single burner portable induction cooktop would be a great option for cooking outside or as an alternative to the gas cooktop inside.  Any brand/model recommendations?  I did find a compact model made by Nuwave that has three wattage selections -  600/900/1300w.  Would that be of any advantage when using in a Leisure Travel Van?

Re: Induction Cooktop

Reply #1
Hi we have a nuwave pic flex. It has 600, 900, 1300 watt settings.  We use it almost exclusively when we have shore power.

Its easy to use and the pan cleans up with a scott towel if you don't want to wash it immediately.  Remember you need a

pan that a magnet can stick to.  Also just read someplace that if you are using a inverter not to use over 1,000 watts.

So go for it.  We pick up our new wonder next Friday.

Reply #2
Which model has the 600/900/1300W settings?
Is it available on Amazon?
Bob & Iris
2017 Unity 24MB

Reply #3
Ok looked at nuwave again can not see a model number.  Its called a Nuwave pic flex. We bought it at a bed bath and beyound in
Yuma AZ.  It came with one frying pan, hope this helps.  Bob

Reply #5
Thats the one we have and it works great.

Reply #6
Thanks Bob!

I bought the Nuwave pic flex at Bed, Bath, & Beyond with a 20% off coupon.  I figured the wattage control would be a good feature for use in an RV.  I am researching some induction compatible stacking cookware as well but I will start another discussion topic regarding cookware suggestions.

I was supposed to take delivery of my Wonder on April 1 but apparently the factory is a bit behind so not sure when it's arriving.

Reply #7
Thanks to all.  Will check out BBB for the 20% discount.
Regards,
Bob & Iris
2017 Unity 24MB

Reply #8
I  am a newbie to RV'ing and my Wonder is arriving this April.  I've cooked on an induction cooktop and really liked it.  I think a single burner portable induction cooktop would be a great option for cooking outside or as an alternative to the gas cooktop inside.  Any brand/model recommendations?  I did find a compact model made by Nuwave that has three wattage selections -  600/900/1300w.  Would that be of any advantage when using in a Leisure Travel Van?

You're much better off with a propane stove. The electric range is going to either draw your house battery down or you'll have to run the generator to boil water. It makes no sense having a electric range in a B+ coach unless it all lithium power.

Mike 
Mike Mas Rotory

Reply #9
Simple, just use it when hooked up in the campground!  No battery worries, the 1000 watt inverter could not power it anyway!
Harry
Tempe, Az
2019 Wonder FTB
Toad 2007 Honda Fit

Reply #10
I'm an induction believer...used the single burner ones both at home and in the RV. They take way less power to do the job than a normal electric cooktop, are so much easier to clean etc.. They also emit way less heat and humidity while in operation.  I have a Salton (I think) bought at Costco for $48. It works fine for my needs and after almost 2 years, other than lighting it to see if it worked, I've never used the propane stove. Might be a different story if you do extended dry camping. I don't run it off the invertor since my regimen while dry camping has me running the gen at breakfast and  dinner times to top up the batteries and run the Micro/Convection, coffee maker and the induction if I need it.

If you're a "plug-in" camper, these are a no-brainer in my opinion. One downside is you need "ferrous" cookware, ie no glass, ceramic or aluminum. Your old Lodge cast iron skillet will work fine and more and more inexpensive induction-friendly cookware is coming available at reasonable prices.

Reply #11
I recently switched from gas stoves to induction cookers. I use the NutriChef PKSTIND48. The PKSTIND48 cooks fast because it only took me a couple of minutes to make soft-boiled eggs, which was the quickest I have ever made.